Women in Reinsurance
For nearly 20 years, the Women in Reinsurance (WIR) program has provided an authentic and trustworthy space for women in the reinsurance industry to gather, network and cultivate lasting connections. Porter Wright is proud to host the annual WIR forum to unite influential women in the field and empower them with opportunities to share, debate, learn and grow together. As the number of women in reinsurance continues to rise, it’s essential that these leaders work to support and amplify each other’s ideas and success.
The WIR forum, founded in 2004 by attorneys Karen Borg, Teresa Snider and their colleagues, is hosted on the eve of the Fall ARIAS-U.S. Conference. The event provides women with tools for advancing within their organizations and on arbitration panels.
The paths to success in the reinsurance industry are many and varied. We are proud to share this collection of inspiring stories, unique career paths, successes, challenges and insights told by women in reinsurance and insurance.
- 2022 - Organizational behaviorist, researcher, speaker and professor Laurie Weingart discusses her book, The No Club: Putting a Stop to Women's Dead-End Work, offering data, anecdotes and advice to unburden women's careers from unrewarded work.
- 2021 - Pay equity specialist and advocate Ruth Thomas spoke about pay equity: what it is, factors that contribute to the financial industry's current pay gap and how to discuss pay transparency within our organizations.
- 2020 - Regan Walsh was this year's virtual keynote speaker and discussed how different motivations can support or distract us from living the life we want to live.
- 2019 - Meggie Palmer was this year's keynote speaker and discussed closing the gender pay gap.
- 2018 - WIR regularly sponsors events of interest to professional women in the reinsurance industry and fosters networking and information sharing.
- 2017 - Acclaimed communications expert Connie Glaser was this year’s keynote speaker and she led a lively discussion on female empowerment.
- 2016 - Speaker and consultant Mariela Dabbah, author of the acclaimed Find Your Inner Red Shoes: Step Into Your Own Style of Success, was this year’s keynote speaker on the topic of female empowerment.
- 2015 - WIR regularly sponsors events of interest to professional women in the reinsurance industry and fosters networking and information sharing.
- 2014 - Author of Stiletto Network, Pamela Ryckman, discussed how women can create and mobilize their own networks, both within and outside their organizations, for career advancement and bottom-line results.
- 2013 - In her book, Developing Women Leaders: A Guide for Men and Women in Organizations, Anna Marie Valerio, Ph.D. answers the question “How do we best develop women leaders?” with practical solutions drawn from current literature and the author’s personal interviews with high-achievers in major US companies and universities. Dr. Valerio discussed how women can improve their work relationships and partner to create the next generation of leaders.
- 2013 Spring - WIR regularly sponsors events of interest to professional women in the reinsurance industry and fosters networking and information sharing.
- 2012 - WIR regularly sponsors events of interest to professional women in the reinsurance industry and fosters networking and information sharing.
- 2011 - “How often have we heard ‘It’s nothing against you, it’s not personal – it’s just business’? But in fact, at work it’s never just business – it’s always personal.” Speaker Anne Kreamer, author of the brand-new book It’s Always Personal, explored the realities of emotion of in the workplace.