Cross-border litigation and arbitration
We take pride in our long history of successful dispute resolution and litigation on behalf of some of the world’s best-known companies as well as smaller businesses and individuals. Our lawyers have represented major foreign businesses in mediation, arbitration and litigation in U.S. courts and have worked closely with foreign counsel in foreign litigation and arbitration.
We offer such solutions as:
- Advance planning for resolution of potential international contract or business disputes
- Counseling on the possible benefits of arbitration, or other forms of alternative dispute resolution, instead of litigation
- Advice regarding selection of arbitration rules and administering bodies (e.g., AAA, ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL, ICSID)
- Development of carefully constructed arbitration clauses
- Guidance as to applicable substantive and procedural law
- Assistance in the selection of appropriate arbitrators
- Forceful presentation of client interests, using our experience with a variety of arbitral institutions and tribunals and our knowledge of the cultural influences affecting them
- Assistance in enforcing arbitral awards
- Porter Wright attorneys forcefully represent both U.S. clients in high profile, sensitive litigation and arbitration against foreign parties and foreign companies and nationals before U.S. tribunals
Our litigators are comfortable using international processes to obtain valuable evidence and make use of many other sophisticated means for obtaining information and presenting it most effectively. Most important, our attorneys ensure our clients' interests and directions guide all that they do.
Our partners include experienced international arbitrators and mediators affiliated with the following organizations:
- American Arbitration Association
- International Chamber of Commerce
- London Court of International Arbitration
- World Bank’s International Center for the Settlement of Investment Disputes
Judd Kessler, a partner in our Washington, D.C., office and leader of Porter Wright’s International Arbitration practice, has served as sole arbitrator, panel chairman or panel member in more than 30 major cases and also has served as lead counsel for parties in major arbitration matters.