While a specific job or opportunity may not be listed, Porter Wright is always interested in receiving highly qualified resumes for legal secretarial and administrative positions.
Please be assured that cover letters and resumes will be reviewed by our personnel department and applicants will be contacted directly should there be a suitable open position.
David G. Zimmerman
This position reports to the Knowledge Management and Library Manager and will be based in the firm’s Columbus office.
- Ability to provide high quality, legal and non-legal research assistance for attorneys and staff.
- Analyze and synthesize information to produce actionable intelligence for attorneys and staff.
- Generate and assemble information packets on potential clients, industry trends and subject-specific topics for attorneys and staff.
- Monitor and create alerts for legal, regulatory, company and industry related information.
- Assist with instruction on research techniques and tools for attorneys and staff virtually and in live sessions.
- Assist with the coordination of the Information Resource Center's (IRC) internal training initiatives.
- Assist with the maintenance and dissemination of resources through the firm’s Intranet.
- Prepare and maintain instructional guides, pathfinders and other documentation to promote library resources.
- Support knowledge management initiatives and assist with special projects as required.
- Assist with IRC orientation, training, outreach and marketing of IRC services.
- Provide backup coverage for other IRC staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; Must be able to communicate effectively with a diverse group of attorneys and staff.
- Strong customer service attitude, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Willingness to learn and stay current with the most effective legal research methods and various types of technologies.
- Highly dependable and able to provide high-quality service in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Initiative and creativity strongly desired.
- ALA accredited degree in Library and Information Science or a JD from an ABA accredited institution or equivalent experience will be considered.
- Law firm experience is highly desirable but not required.
- Knowledge of standard legal research sources such as Lexis, Westlaw, Bloomberg Law.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of free and fee-based business resources, subject specific databases and legal analytics tools.
Resumes should be submitted to Mary Lynn Creighton, Manager of Library Services and Knowledge Management at [email protected].
Scope of Responsibility: Responsible for providing attorney and non-attorney assignments clerical and administrative assistance to maintain high standards of efficiency and professionalism with clients.
Job Duties (including but not limited to):
- Participates in cultivation of client relationships by becoming familiar with the case/matter which provides for better service to the client and aids assignments in better preparing for client meetings.
- Maintains calendars for assignments, schedules meetings and appointments; arranges for conference rooms and ensures conference rooms are appropriately stocked with beverages and supplies; escorts clients and visitors from reception area to appropriate conference room; makes travel arrangements as needed.
- Opens and distributes mail to assignments.
- Creates and edits correspondence, memoranda, pleadings, etc. Transcribes dictation.
- Responsible for copying, faxing and scanning documents in appropriate format.
- Prepares documents for mailing/delivery (i.e., U.S. mail, overnight delivery, UPS, courier).
- Familiar with filing procedures (i.e., electronic filing) and appropriate documentation needed for various courts and entities.
- Processes paperwork to open new client files; creates files in firm’s record management system; maintains current files and organizes files before processing for off-site storage.
- Enters daily timekeeping for assignments.
- Edits monthly billing memoranda and creates transmittal letters.
- Prepares expense reports for assignments.
- Maintains current address/telephone listing of clients for each assignment, ensuring they are properly entered into the firm’s client relationship management system. May be responsible for preparing mailing lists/labels for firm-sponsored seminars/events.
- Maintains current log of client/matter numbers for each assignment.
- Orders supplies weekly and maintains sufficient stock.
- Takes advantage of all training opportunities to keep current with the firm’s software and procedures in order to maintain high standard of efficiency.
- Provides assistance to other legal administrative assistants as time permits.
- Performs such other duties as assigned, maintaining team effort to provide best possible assistance to assignments and clients.
- Opportunity to handle some paralegal/client billable duties if interested.
- High school level education or equivalent office work experience.
- Minimum of three years prior legal secretarial experience.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills; ability to communicate clearly and accurately; professional appearance and demeanor.
Resumes should be submitted to David G. Zimmerman, recruiting and human resources manager at [email protected].