Katja focuses her practice in privacy matters and international business and trade. As a German native, Katja brings a unique perspective on matters ranging from complex international transactions to global privacy compliance. Her experience and counsel bridge the gap that often exists between the legal and cultural perspectives.
Katja has worked with international businesses on a number of transactional matters. She routinely advises clients on matters related to cross-border transactions, contract negotiation and entity formation. She also has experience guiding business owners as they wind down their businesses.
Katja’s robust privacy and data security experience serves clients domestically and abroad. As a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E), Katja has created and managed policies and procedures to ensure clients are in compliance with European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). She evaluates each clients’ risk exposure and tolerance to partner with them in creating a data breach response plan that mitigates possible litigation and loss.
Clients rely on Katja for her dedication to client service and creative approach to problem solving – even with the most nuanced legal issues. She advises clients with regard to buying and selling businesses, analyzing risk and facilitating appropriate due diligence. She regularly assists companies of all sizes with negotiating commercial agreements between domestic and international parties.
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law (LL.M., 2012)
- Juristische Fakultät der Universität Passau (law degree, 2011)
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, International & Graduate Affairs Advisory Council, Co-Chair
- International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), KnowledgeNet Co-Chair, Columbus Chapter
- German-American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest
- Ohio State Bar Association, Advisory Council on Diversity Initiatives (ACDI) Committee
- Columbus Bar Association, International Lawyers Committee
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Ones to Watch, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law and Technology Law, 2021
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars Edition, 2017
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E), 2020
- Supreme Court of Ohio Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentoring Program, Mentor
- German, native