Katja chairs the firm’s International Business & Trade Practice Group. She serves clients in a range of privacy and international business matters, from complex international transactions to global privacy compliance. As a German native, her unique perspective, experience and counsel bridge the gap that often exists from a legal and cultural perspective.
Katja works with clients outside the United States, particularly German companies, to establish business in the U.S. or advise on existing U.S. operations. She routinely provides the complex legal counsel needed to begin U.S. operations alongside considering potential cultural and practical implications for doing business in the U.S.
She routinely counsels international clients on matters related to cross-border transactions, corporate restructuring, commercial agreements, contract negotiation, data privacy, trade compliance and entity formation. She also has experience guiding business owners as they wind down their businesses.
Katja’s robust privacy and data security experience serves clients domestically and abroad. As a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E), Katja creates and manages policies and procedures to ensure clients are in compliance with the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). She also has experience serving her clients as an external data protection officer (DPO).
In particular, Katja helps clients to draft privacy policies and compliance programs, negotiate data processing agreements and complete data mapping and impact assessments. She provides privacy counsel during M&A transactions and collaborates with foreign counsel to facilitate global privacy protection and compliance.
Clients rely on Katja for her dedication to client service and creative approach to problem solving — even with the most nuanced legal issues. She advises clients with regard to buying and selling businesses, analyzing risk and facilitating appropriate due diligence. She regularly assists companies of all sizes with negotiating commercial agreements between domestic and international parties.
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law (LL.M., 2012)
- Juristische Fakultät der Universität Passau (law degree, 2011)
- International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA), National Representative for the United States
- German-American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest, Board Member
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, International & Graduate Affairs Advisory Council, Co-Chair
- European American Chamber of Commerce (EACC)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), KnowledgeNet former Co-Chair, Columbus Chapter
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America®
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E), 2020
- Supreme Court of Ohio Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentoring Program, Mentor
- German, native