- Ross v. American Red Cross: As lead counsel, Joyce defended the Red Cross in a personal injury trial in federal court in Ohio. After brief deliberations, the jury returned a complete defense verdict. Joyce successfully argued the appeal including eight assignments of error before the Sixth Circuit which upheld the district court’s rulings and the jury’s verdict.
- Mirena® litigation: Joyce serves as Ohio counsel for Bayer in federal litigation involving the Mirena® intrauterine device.
- Food Flavoring litigation: Joyce represents an international food and flavoring manufacturer in multi-plaintiff cases involving the chemical diacetyl in state courts in Ohio, Missouri, Georgia and California.
- One-A-Day® Men’s Multivitamins litigation: Joyce served as Ohio counsel for Bayer in a consumer class action alleging violations of Ohio consumer statutes in federal court in Ohio.
- Trasylol® litigation: Joyce served as Ohio counsel for Bayer in product liability cases involving Trasylol®, a drug used during coronary bypass surgery to prevent excessive bleeding. Joyce deposed plaintiffs and prescribing physicians and assisted trial counsel on issues related to Ohio law.
- CBA v. American Family Prepaid Legal Plan: Joyce was lead counsel in litigation that resulted in the Ohio Supreme Court imposing nearly $6.4 million in fines against one of the largest illegal trust mill schemes in the nation — American Family Prepaid Legal Corporation and Heritage Marketing and Insurance Services Inc. and their co-owners, Jeffrey and Stanley Norman, and directing the companies to cease all operations in the State of Ohio. These penalties resulted from Porter Wright’s representation of the Columbus Bar Association in connection with the Association’s efforts to stop the illegal scheme that preyed upon Ohio’s elderly population and involved the unauthorized practice of law by non-lawyers. For more than three years, Joyce and a team of nearly 40 lawyers, law clerks, and staff members litigated the case pro bono. This significant victory for the elderly was widely covered in the press across Ohio and nationwide.
- AIDS and Hepatitis cases: Joyce has served as lead counsel to the American Red Cross in cases alleging the transmission of AIDS and Hepatitis from blood transfusions.