Fred's primary emphasis of practice is defending employers in workers’ compensation claims.
Employers routinely seek Fred’s counsel on matters before the Industrial Commission of Ohio, including asbestos and VSSR claims. Fred also has more than thirty years of experience defending intentional tort, unemployment and workers’ compensation retaliation claims for companies of all sizes.
Prior to joining Porter Wright, Fred was an assistant attorney general for the State of Ohio where he gained significant trial experience in both jury and bench trials. He has extensive appellate experience and has argued before the Ohio Supreme Court and in many of Ohio’s appellate districts.
In his matters before the Ohio Supreme Court, Fred was successful on several occasions including cases in which the Supreme Court denied the compensability of psychological conditions under the Ohio Workers’ Compensation Act.
- Case Western Reserve University (J.D., 1982)
- Miami University (B.A., 1979)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Workers' Compensation Section, Chair 2002-2004
- Ohio State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- The Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year,” Ohio Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers, Cleveland, 2017, 2020, 2023
- Ohio Super Lawyers
- The University of Akron School of Law, Guest Lecturer, Human Resources Law, 2008-present
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, 3Rs Program
- Cleveland Animal Protective League, Past Board Member
- Tri-C Jazzfest, Past Board Member