Fred is a partner in Porter Wright’s Labor & Employment group where the primary emphasis of his practice is in defending employers in workers’ compensation claims.
Employers routinely seek Fred’s counsel on matters before the Industrial Commission of Ohio, including asbestos and VSSR claims. Fred also has more than thirty years of experience defending intentional tort, unemployment and workers’ compensation retaliation claims for companies of all sizes.
Prior to joining Porter Wright, Fred was an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Ohio where he gained significant trial experience in both jury and bench trials. He has extensive appellate experience and has argued before the Ohio Supreme Court and in many of Ohio’s appellate districts.
In his matters before the Ohio Supreme Court, Fred was successful on several occasions including cases in which the supreme court denied the lower court’s decision to deny the compensability of psychological conditions under the Ohio Workers’ Compensation Act.
- Case Western Reserve University (J.D., 1982)
- Miami University (B.A., 1979)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Workers' Compensation Section, Chair 2002-2004
- Ohio State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers, “Lawyer of the Year,” 2017, 2020
- Best Lawyers®, Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers
- Ohio Super Lawyers®
- The University of Akron School of Law, guest lecturer, Human Resources Law, 2008-present
- Cleveland Animal Protective League, past board member
- Tri-C Jazzfest, past board member