Ned serves as chair of Porter Wright’s White Collar Criminal Defense practice area. He is recognized by Chambers USA for his “excellent reputation in the area of federal criminal investigations and prosecutions and SEC enforcement actions.” With substantial experience as a trial attorney and appellate advocate, he has won a range of challenging and noteworthy cases. Ned brings to his practice over three decades of legal experience in both the public and private sectors. He also has conducted significant independent investigations for leading corporations, public entities and a research university.
A former federal prosecutor, Ned has served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Criminal Division of the Department of Justice. Ned also has served as a special deputy independent counsel in Washington, D.C., and as a member of the Presidential Transition Team (Department of Justice Landing Team).
In addition to his work on criminal matters, he also has substantial experience in complex civil litigation, which often involves underlying criminal issues such as antitrust, securities fraud and RICO cases. He is one of a limited number of litigators in the country who has successfully tried an antitrust class action to a jury verdict.
Currently, Ned teaches criminal procedure at the Case Western Reserve University School of Law, and he has taught full courses at the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law School. He also has spoken at the University of Michigan Law School, national bar conferences, training programs for prosecutors and agents, and National Institute of Trial Advocacy programs.
Ned recently was named by Lawdragon as one of the 500 Leading Litigators in America (White Collar, Investigations; Appellate). Ned has been ranked six times by Chambers USA as a leading lawyer in Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations. He also is recognized by The Best Lawyers in America® and was named a “Lawyer of the Year” in Antitrust Litigation in 2019.
Prior to practicing law, Ned worked as a business analyst for McKinsey & Company in Pittsburgh and as a “stagiaire” in the legal department for a multi-national energy company in Paris, France.
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 1990)
- Dartmouth College (B.A., 1986)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Supreme Court of the United States
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
Honors & Awards
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
- Cuyahoga County, Stare Decisis Award for Outstanding Litigation
- Chambers USA, Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- The Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year,” Antitrust Litigation, Cleveland, Ohio 2019
- Board of Directors, Achievement Centers for Children, 2013-2016
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Adjunct Professor
- Case Western Reserve University Law School, Guest Lecturer