Andy is a partner in the firm's Litigation Department where he chairs the firm's Wireless and Telecommunications practice. He is a nationally recognized expert in wireless telecommunications law and is currently a Vice Chair of the American Bar Association, Infrastructure and Regulated Industries Section and Communications Committee. Andy helps wireless carriers build and modify small cell wireless networks, indoor and outdoor distributed antenna systems (DAS), macro cell sites and mesh wireless networks. Recently, in connection with assisting a major wireless carrier deploy small cells, Andy successfully advocated for and negotiated small cell legislation in multiple state legislatures.
Andy manages a team of Porter Wright attorneys that represent wireless carriers as they upgrade their networks from 4G to 5G. Specifically, the team helps clients build strong records to support deployments; comment on local siting ordinances and federal and state regulatory dockets that impact wireless deployment; and negotiate right-of-way access and small cell structure attachment agreements, DAS, and WiFi agreements with large venues, stadiums and local entities. These agreements help clients improve data speeds, offload traffic from their mobile networks and enhance service in high density areas.
He is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® for energy law. He represents competitive electric and natural gas suppliers before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) and has represented telecommunication and electric utilities, as well as transportation companies, in merger proceedings, utility transactions, complaint cases, and rulemaking proceedings before the PUCO, and appeals to the Ohio Supreme Court and the federal courts, as well as related treble damage actions in Ohio state courts.
Before joining Porter Wright, Andy served as a judicial extern for The Honorable R. Guy Cole, Jr. of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and as Special Assistant to Assistant Attorney General Anne K. Bingaman of the United States Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- The Ohio State University College of Law (J.D., 1999)
- DePaul University (B.A., 1993)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- American Bar Association, Public Utilities, Communications and Transportation Law Section – Communications Committee, Vice Chair
- Ohio State Bar Association, Public Utilities Committee
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Energy Law
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars Edition, 2007, 2009-2011
- The First Tee Central Ohio
- The Fishel Company (dba Team Fishel), Board of Advisors