For over 20 years, Andy has represented providers in the wireless and telecommunications industry and the electric and natural gas sector. He also routinely advises clients regarding major government infrastructure and broadband programs.
Wireless and Telecommunications
Andy chairs the firm's Wireless and Telecommunications Practice Group. He is a nationally recognized expert in wireless telecommunications law and serves as chair-elect of the American Bar Association, Infrastructure and Regulated Industries Section, and is vice chair of the Communications Committee. Andy helps wireless carriers build and modify small cell wireless networks, indoor and outdoor distributed antenna systems (DAS), macro cell sites and mesh wireless networks. Recently, in connection with assisting a major wireless carrier deploy small cells, Andy successfully advocated for and negotiated small cell legislation in multiple state legislatures.
Andy manages the Porter Wright attorney team that represents wireless carriers as they upgrade their networks from 4G to 5G. Specifically, the team helps clients build strong records to support deployments; comment on local siting ordinances and federal and state regulatory dockets that impact wireless deployment; and negotiate right-of-way access and small cell structure attachment agreements, DAS and Wi-Fi agreements with large venues, stadiums and local entities. These agreements help clients improve data speeds, offload traffic from their mobile networks and enhance service in high density areas.
Government Infrastructure Programs
Andy also serves as partner-in-charge of Infrastructure Policy Group, LLC (IPG), an ancillary consulting business wholly owned by Porter Wright. In that capacity, Andy advises IPG clients on state and federal infrastructure programs, including:
- American Rescue Plan Act
- Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA)
- Broadband Equity Access and Deployment Program (BEAD)
- Digital Equity Program
- Middle Mile Program
- Tribal Program
- FCC Affordable Connectivity Program
- FCC Broadband Deployment Accuracy and Technological Availability (DATA) Act
- IIJA Notices of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) released by National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA)
- Coronavirus Capital Funds and related United States Treasury Department guidance materials
- State broadband grant programs
Andy stays current on all relevant broadband regulatory activities at the FCC, NTIA, United States Department of Agriculture, state public utility commissions, as well as related legislative activity in Congress and state legislatures.
In addition, Andy is recognized by Best Lawyers® in energy law. He represents competitive electric and natural gas suppliers before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) and has represented telecommunication and electric utilities, as well as transportation companies, in merger proceedings, utility transactions, complaint cases and rulemaking proceedings before the PUCO. He also represents clients in appeals to the Ohio Supreme Court and the federal courts, as well as related treble damage actions in Ohio state courts.
Before joining Porter Wright, Andy served as a judicial extern for The Honorable R. Guy Cole, Jr. of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and as Special Assistant to Assistant Attorney General Anne K. Bingaman of the United States Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- The Ohio State University College of Law (J.D., 1999)
- DePaul University (B.A., 1993)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- American Bar Association, Infrastructure and Regulated Industries Section, Vice Chair, Communications Committee, Vice Chair
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Energy Law
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars Edition, 2007, 2009-2011
- The First Tee Central Ohio
- The Fishel Company (dba Team Fishel), Board of Advisors