Brad, partner in Porter Wright’s Litigation Department and member of the firm’s Appellate Practice Group, represents clients in appeals, original actions, and complex commercial litigation.
After graduating from the University of Dayton School of Law, Brad clerked for two years in the chambers of former Ohio Supreme Court Justice Deborah L. Cook (now United States Court of Appeals Judge for the Sixth Circuit). Since joining the firm in 2001, Brad has focused on appellate practice, public utilities law, and commercial and environmental litigation.
Due to his clerkship at the Ohio Supreme Court, Brad participates in many of the firm’s cases pending in that Court, assisting co-counsel with jurisdictional memoranda, merit briefs, original actions, and preparations for oral argument.
Brad has assisted national electric utilities in ratemaking proceedings, in their siting of new transmission capacity, and in their defense of major environmental enforcement actions. He has recently represented a major coal mine in proceedings before Ohio's Reclamation Commission and assisted a major telecommunications provider in its efforts to introduce IP-based services in Ohio and to construct new telecommunications facilities. In addition, Brad has assisted oil and gas clients in appeals before the Supreme Court of Ohio and in matters before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio.
- Represented a large investor-owned utility in rate-related appeals to the Ohio Supreme Court from the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio
- Represented a large investor-owned utility in an appeal to the Ohio Supreme Court from the Ohio Power Siting Board regarding the siting of new transmission capacity.
- Represented a national railway company in the successful appeal of a matter under the Federal Employers Liability Act.
- Obtained discretionary review in the Ohio Supreme Court and a precedent-setting decision on behalf of a title insurance company in an appeal regarding Ohio’s Statute of Frauds.
- Obtained a favorable ruling protecting an investor-owned utility’s trade secrets and critical energy infrastructure information from public disclosure pending appeal to the Ohio Supreme Court.
- Represented a mining company in an appeal to the state Reclamation Commission.
- Obtained a writ of habeas corpus in federal court on behalf of a Death-Row inmate
- Represented a major U.S. manufacturer in adversary proceedings brought in bankruptcy court against the manufacturer’s former subsidiaries.
- Obtained a significant arbitration award on behalf of a pharmaceutical services provider under a multi-year services contract.
- Assisted an investor-owned utility in trials stemming from alleged violations of the Clean Air Act’s New Source Review provisions.