Brad, partner in Porter Wright’s Litigation Department and member of the firm’s Appellate Practice Group, represents clients in appeals, original actions, and complex commercial litigation.
After graduating from the University of Dayton School of Law, Brad clerked for two years in the chambers of former Ohio Supreme Court Justice Deborah L. Cook (now United States Court of Appeals Judge for the Sixth Circuit). Since joining the firm in 2001, Brad has focused on appellate practice, public utilities law, and commercial and environmental litigation. Brad is a frequent contributor to several of the firms’ blogs, covering a variety of appellate issues and cases.
Due to his clerkship at the Ohio Supreme Court, Brad participates in many of the firm’s cases pending in that Court, assisting co-counsel with jurisdictional memoranda, merit briefs, original actions, and preparations for oral argument.
Brad has assisted national electric utilities in ratemaking proceedings, in their siting of new transmission capacity, and in their defense of major environmental enforcement actions. He has recently represented a major coal mine in proceedings before Ohio's Reclamation Commission and assisted a major telecommunications provider in its efforts to introduce IP-based services in Ohio and to construct new telecommunications facilities. In addition, Brad has assisted oil and gas clients in appeals before the Supreme Court of Ohio and in matters before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio.
Brad advises wireless telecommunications carriers and related construction enterprises on matters of new cell site deployment to build out legacy and state-of-the-art wireless technologies nationwide. His experience includes providing counsel on issues and opportunities related to 3G and 4G LTE upgrades using macro and distributed antenna system (DAS) technologies. This also includes administrative permitting proceedings, zoning and rights-of-way disputes, and related litigation in federal courts arising under applicable federal laws, including the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012.
- Represented a large investor-owned utility in rate-related appeals to the Ohio Supreme Court.
- Represented a large investor-owned utility in an appeal to the Ohio Supreme Court from the Ohio Power Siting Board.
- Obtained discretionary review in the Ohio Supreme Court and a precedent-setting decision on behalf of a title insurance company in an appeal regarding Ohio’s Statute of Frauds.
- Protected an investor-owned utility’s trade secrets and critical energy infrastructure information from public disclosure pending appeal to the Ohio Supreme Court.
- Represented a mining company in an appeal to the state Reclamation Commission.
- Obtained a writ of habeas corpus in federal court on behalf of a Death-Row inmate
- Represented a major U.S. manufacturer in adversary proceedings brought in bankruptcy court.
- Obtained a significant arbitration award on behalf of a pharmaceutical services provider.
- Assisted an investor-owned utility in New Source Review enforcement actions.