Ryan is a partner in Porter Wright’s litigation department and co-chairs the firm's Construction Practice Group.
He concentrates his practice on complex commercial disputes, with a particular focus on construction matters, oil and gas litigation (eminent domain/easement enforcement), intellectual property litigation, securities and shareholder disputes, and health care litigation.
Ryan has successfully argued before the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and successfully represented clients in the Federal District Courts for the Southern and Northern Districts of Ohio and throughout numerous Ohio state courts, at both the trial and appellate court level. Ryan’s practice also involves representing clients in arbitrations and emergency injunctive proceedings.
Ryan was recognized by Chambers USA 2012 and 2013 among the “Leaders in their Field” for General Commercial Litigation. According to Chambers USA, “Ryan Sherman is an emerging talent with a focus on complex commercial disputes, including construction, oil and gas, and healthcare. He is building a reputation as "a well-rounded litigator - a great writer and a great advocate." Chambers USA goes on to note him as "one of the next generation of leading Ohio litigators." In addition, he has been named to Ohio Super Lawyers® Rising Star edition each year since 2009 and has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America® in Construction Law.
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2002)
- The Ohio State University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1999)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Columbus Bar Association, Judicial Screening Committee
- Ohio State Bar Association, Council of Delegates, 2010-2012
- Defense Research Institute, Construction Law Committee
- Builders Exchange of Central Ohio
- Building Industry Association of Central Ohio
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Construction Law
- Ohio Super Lawyers® — Rising Stars Edition, 2009-2016
- Chambers USA, "Leaders in their Field," General Commercial Litigation, 2012-2013
- Order of the Coif
- Ohio Supreme Court Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program, Mentor, 2010-2015
- Pro bono Tenants’ Advocacy Project and Collections Defense Project
- Leadership Columbus, Class of 2011