Ryan is a trial lawyer who concentrates his practice in the areas of construction and real estate law, where he represents developers, project owners, homebuilders, general contractors, subcontractors and suppliers. He co-chairs the firm's Construction Practice Group and recently served as the chair of the Columbus Bar Association’s Construction Law Committee.
In addition to his construction and real estate litigation practice, Ryan possesses significant experience litigating a variety of other complex commercial disputes, including in the areas of contract, oil and gas, health care, intellectual property, and securities and shareholder law.
Ryan’s construction practice crosses every facet of the industry. He assists clients with the preparation and review of construction contracts so that his clients’ rights and interests are fully secured before the project begins. When the ink on the contract is dry, Ryan provides project management services throughout the life of the project in order to ensure that the client’s project or services are delivered on time and on budget and make certain that the client is well positioned and protected in the event of a dispute. When disputes do arise, Ryan works collaboratively with his client and the other project participants to arrive at a cooperative resolution without resort to litigation, so that project funds go to the project participants and not to unnecessary legal expenses. When problems can’t be resolved cooperatively, Ryan possesses the trial experience necessary to aggressively litigate all manner of construction disputes, including payment and breach of contract claims, delay and acceleration claims, construction defect claims, and mechanics’ lien and bond claims.
Ryan’s real estate practice focuses on the litigation and enforcement of property rights, with a particular emphasis on eminent domain disputes and oil and gas matters. Ryan represents regional and national utility and pipeline companies in acquiring the easements necessary to fuel the region’s energy growth.
Ryan is an active member of numerous construction and real estate industry organizations, including the Central Ohio Builders Exchange, the Construction Financial Management Association, the American Bar Association’s Forum on Construction Law and the International Right of Way Association, among others. He is a frequent speaker and guest lecturer on construction and real estate law topics for in-house counsel and trade industry associations.
Ryan has been recognized by Chambers USA among the “Leaders in their Field” for General Commercial Litigation in Ohio. According to Chambers USA, “Ryan Sherman is an emerging talent with a focus on complex commercial disputes, including construction, oil and gas, and healthcare. He is building a reputation as ‘a well-rounded litigator - a great writer and a great advocate.’” Chambers USA went on to note him as “one of the next generation of leading Ohio litigators.”
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2002)
- The Ohio State University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1999)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Builders Exchange of Central Ohio, Rising Leaders Graduate, 2013; Cornerstone Award Committee, 2018-2020
- American Bar Association, Forum on Construction Law, Division 1 Member
- Columbus Bar Association, Construction Law Committee, Chair, 2020-2022; Judicial Screening Committee, 2012-2014
- Construction Financial Management Association, Central Ohio Chapter, Governance Committee, Chair
- International Right of Way Association, Chapter 13 Member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Council of Delegates, 2010-2012; Construction Law Committee
- Defense Research Institute, Construction Law Committee, past Member
- Building Industry Association of Central Ohio, past Member
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA, Litigation: General Commercial, Ohio
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition
- Ohio State Bar Association, Best Brief Award “Best Private Briefs,” April 2018
- Order of the Coif
- Ohio Supreme Court Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program, Mentor, 2010-present
- Pro Bono Tenants’ Advocacy Project and Collections Defense Project
- Leadership Columbus, Class of 2011