Bob focuses his practice in energy and environmental law with an emphasis in matters involving the Federal Water Pollution Control Act, Ohio VAP, CERCLA, FIFRA, TSCA, DOT and RCRA matters, wetlands regulation, pretreatment requirements, state and local environmental statutes and regulations, and lender and fiduciary liability issues. With 30 years of environmental law experience, his clients range from large corporate entities to developers to entrepreneurs to municipalities. He is the chair of Porter Wright’s nationally recognized environmental practice.
Bob’s work crosses nearly all major environmental programs, and includes permitting, compliance, criminal and civil defense, drafting of real estate and other transactional documents.
He has successfully briefed and argued numerous appellate and Supreme Court of Ohio cases.
Bob advises clients in the chemical and manufacturing industries across the Northeast, Midwest and Southeast, including Texas. His work includes counseling on a variety of environmental issues including due diligence and audits. He also assists clients in navigating the implementation of state and federal statues related to permitting and regulatory compliance.
As part of the firm’s real estate development team, Bob works with industry stakeholders on Brownfield remediation projects and advises on applicable incentives and grants. He also is a part of the firm’s economic development group where he regularly collaborates with property developers, state and local officials.
He also has significant experience with energy and mineral issues, including oil and gas disputes and transactional matters; oil and gas litigation, including appellate practice; property and mineral title issues, including mineral rights disputes, Ohio Dormant Minerals Act (ODMA), forfeiture and royalty disputes; and regulatory and enforcement actions before the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) and Ohio courts, representing clients in all actions including mandatory pooling and unitization proceedings.
Before entering private practice, Bob was a former assistant Ohio attorney general where he managed more than 250 water and multimedia civil and criminal enforcement actions in various courts. His legal representation included the ODNR and the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) before state and federal courts. Bob has been named to the Ohio Super Lawyers® list and is recognized by Best Lawyers® in Environmental Law and Litigation - Environmental. He has appeared on the list of “Who’s Who in Energy” by Columbus Business First.
- Vermont Law School (J.D., 1989)
- Wright State University (B.A., 1982)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Columbus Bar Association, Environmental Section, former Co-Chair
- Ohio State Bar Association
- National Brownfield Association
- American Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Ohio Super Lawyers
- Columbus Business First, Who's Who in Energy
- Ohio Attorney General, Professionalism Award, 2001
- National Association of Attorneys General, Environmental Issues, CAFO working group, Ohio Representative, 1998-2002
- Conference of Government Mining Attorneys, Chairperson, 1992-1993