Marty has extensive experience in all facets of intellectual property law, as well as commercial transactions involving intellectual property and technology. He has represented clients ranging from multinational corporations to universities and individuals on a wide variety of intellectual property matters.
He has considerable experience in patent and trademark prosecution (U.S. and foreign), patent opinions (patentability, freedom-to-practice and validity), IP due diligence, drafting and negotiating commercial agreements, licensing of all forms of intellectual property (including software licensing), copyright and trade secret law, client counseling on intellectual property issues and competitive intelligence. His practice spans a wide range of technological areas including medical devices and pharmaceuticals. Prior to joining Porter Wright, Marty was chief operating officer and in-house counsel for a technology company. His past experience includes working as a process engineer at a large oil refinery.
- University of Toledo College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1991)
- Purdue University (B.S., 1986)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Cincinnati Intellectual Property Law Association
Honors & Awards
- Gentleman of Style and Substance Award, The Cincinnati Parks Foundation and Cincinnati Magazine, 2014
- Ohio Patent Award (first ever recipient of the patent attorney award), The Ohio Academy of Science and the Intellectual Property Law Section of The Ohio State Bar Association, 2010
- William J. McDaniels Scholarship recipient
- Hamilton County Developmental Disabilities Services Board, President, 2005-2012
- Down Syndrome Association of Greater Cincinnati
- Cincinnati Medical Device Consortium, Advisory Board