Marty has extensive experience in all facets of intellectual property law, as well as commercial transactions involving intellectual property and technology. He has represented clients ranging from multinational corporations to universities and individuals on a wide variety of intellectual property matters.
He has considerable experience in patent and trademark prosecution (U.S. and foreign), patent opinions (particularly, freedom-to-practice and validity), IP due diligence, drafting and negotiating commercial agreements, licensing of all forms of intellectual property (including software licensing) and competitive intelligence. His practice spans a wide range of technological areas including medical devices, chemistry and pharmaceuticals. Prior to joining Porter Wright, Marty was chief operating officer and in-house counsel for a technology company. His past experience includes working as a process engineer at a large oil refinery.
- University of Toledo College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1991)
- Purdue University (B.S., 1986)
- Chemical Engineering
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Supreme Court of the United States
Honors & Awards
- Gentleman of Style and Substance Award, The Cincinnati Parks Foundation and Cincinnati Magazine, 2014
- Ohio Patent Award, The Ohio Academy of Science and the Intellectual Property Law Section of The Ohio State Bar Association, 2010
- People for DD Services, President, 2013-present
- Down Syndrome Association of Greater Cincinnati, Educational Advisory Board, 2013-present
- Hamilton County Developmental Disabilities Services Board, President, 2005-2012