John is a partner in Porter Wright’s Columbus office and chair of the firm’s Health Care Practice Group. He counsels clients on a range of corporate health care law issues including, medical practice formation and practice acquisition, contract review and preparation for physicians and other healthcare professionals, employment grievances, medical practice compliance, fraud and abuse and Stark law compliance, internal investigations, Medicare, Medicaid and third party reimbursement issues, and dispute resolution. He also has represented physicians and other health care professionals in licensing board investigations and hearings.
In addition to being a healthcare attorney at Porter Wright for almost twenty years, Carney also spent six years in the Ohio General Assembly. During his time in the legislature, John served as the ranking member of the Insurance Committee, Vice Chair of the Finance Committee, Vice Chair of the Health and Aging Committee and served as an appointee to the Joint Committee on Agency Rule Review (JCARR). John was particularly focused on health care law issues in the legislature which benefits his clients as it informs his advice in advancing the business interests of his clients.
As a result of John’s combined health law and legislative experience, he possesses unique insight on collaborative and creative problem solving, which significantly benefit the firm’s clients.
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2001)
- The Ohio State University (B.A., 1998)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars Edition, 2007-2013
- County Engineers Association, Legislator of the Year, 2013
- Ohio Association of Justice, Legislator of the Year, 2013
- Central Ohio Association of Justice, Legislator of the Year, 2013
- Central OEA/NEA, Friend of Education Award, 2013
- AIDS Resource Center of Ohio, Spirit of Healing Award, 2013
- Mid-Ohio District Nurses Association, Legislator of the Year, 2011
- Voices for Ohio Children Award, 2011
- Friend of Education Award, Worthington Education Association, 2010
- Ohio Chapter of American Academy of Pediatrics, Antoinette Parisi Eaton Child Advocate of the Year Award, 2010
- ARC of Ohio, Freshman Legislator of the Year, 2009
- Columbus Business First, Forty Under 40
- State Representative, 22nd District, Ohio General Assembly (2009-2014)