John is an active member of the firm’s Government Relations team, and also chairs two significantly regulated practice areas: Health Care and Cannabis.
He counsels a broad range of health care providers and payers - individual physicians, multi-specialty physician practices, dental practices, hospitals, insurance companies and a range of other community health providers. John assists these clients with corporate health care law issues, including medical practice formation and practice acquisition, contract review and preparation, employment grievances, medical practice compliance, fraud and abuse and Stark law compliance, internal investigations, Medicare, Medicaid and third party reimbursement issues, COVID-19 health and safety measures, procurement activities and internal dispute resolution. He also has represented physicians and other health care professionals in licensing board investigations and peer review matters.
John was a three-term member of the Ohio General Assembly. During his time in the legislature, John served as the ranking member of the Insurance Committee, vice chair of the Finance Committee, vice chair of the Health and Aging Committee and served as an appointee to the Joint Committee on Agency Rule Review (JCARR). John was particularly focused on health care law issues in the legislature which benefits his clients as it informs his advice in advancing their business interests. This experience is particularly helpful for his client advocacy efforts in the Ohio General Assembly and with the governor’s office.
As a result of John’s combined legal and legislative experience, he possesses the ability to solve complex issues in a creative and collaborative manner.
John has navigated a range of regulatory issues for clients at the state and federal level. These engagements have resulted in client advocacy with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Health and Human Services, the Ohio Department of Medicaid, the Ohio Department of Health, the Ohio Department of Insurance, the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services, the Ohio Department of Agriculture, the Ohio Department of Public Safety, the Ohio Department of Commerce, Ohio Homeland Security, the Ohio Department of Administrative Services, the Ohio Office of Budget and Management, JobsOhio, the Development Services Agency, the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities, the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, the Ohio Department of Workers’ Compensation, the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services, the Ohio Ethics Commission, the Joint Legislative Ethics Commission and the Ohio Department of Taxation.
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2001)
- The Ohio State University (B.A., 1998)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition
- County Engineers Association, Legislator of the Year, 2013
- Ohio Association of Justice, Legislator of the Year, 2013
- Central Ohio Association of Justice, Legislator of the Year, 2013
- Central OEA/NEA, Friend of Education Award, 2013
- AIDS Resource Center of Ohio, Spirit of Healing Award, 2013
- Mid-Ohio District Nurses Association, Legislator of the Year, 2011
- Voices for Ohio Children Award, 2011
- Friend of Education Award, Worthington Education Association, 2010
- Ohio Chapter of American Academy of Pediatrics, Antoinette Parisi Eaton Child Advocate of the Year Award, 2010
- ARC of Ohio, Freshman Legislator of the Year, 2009
- Columbus Business First, Forty Under 40
- Ohio General Assembly, State Representative, 22nd District, 2009-2014