Jack maintains a general corporate practice with an emphasis on international business transactions, affordable housing, governmental economic development programs, and financing for emerging small businesses. His foreign clients are based in Asia and throughout Central and South America. For more than 35 years, Jack has served as counsel for many Japanese manufacturers, logistics companies and related businesses that have established operations in Ohio, dealing with the corporate, real estate, tax, immigration and financing issues that have confronted foreign investors in the United States.
He represents American companies that are engaged in business transactions in China and other overseas locations, or in hiring foreign nationals. As counsel for domestic and international businesses, Jack provides guidance on sales agent, distributor, export control, customs and related questions.
Having advised architectural and engineering firms with practices that are international in scope, he is familiar with design and construction contracts and joint ventures, negotiating on behalf of owners and professionals alike. His business practice involves corporate acquisitions, mergers, and asset or stock sales.
Another primary focus of Jack’s practice is the representation of for- and non-profit developers, lenders and investors in real estate projects, particularly low-income housing tax credit and new markets tax credit transactions. His work has helped create and preserve tens of thousands of affordable housing units throughout the United States financed through tax credit syndications and public sources.
Jack has served as an adjunct professor in the Capital University Law School, was named 2012 Columbus, Ohio “Lawyer of the Year” for Corporate Law by Best Lawyers® and is listed in Best Lawyers® in the area of Corporate Law.
- Duke University School of Law (J.D., with distinction, 1976)
- Dartmouth College (A.B., magna cum laude, 1973)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association, International Law Committee, former Chairman
- American Bar Association, Business Section, Affordable Housing Forum
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Best Lawyers®, Columbus, Ohio Corporate “Lawyer of the Year,” 2012
- Ohio Super Lawyers®
- March of Dimes, National Legal Counsel of the Year Award, 1990
- Columbus Museum of Art, Board of Trustees and Counsel
- Columbus College of Art and Design, Chair of the Board of Trustees
- Cartoon Crossroads Columbus, Board of Trustees
- Greater Columbus Sister Cities International, Inc., Board of Directors
- March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation, former Chapter Chairman
- Community Capital Development Corporation, an SBA-certified nonprofit corporation authorized to provide government-backed loans to small businesses, Secretary and Trustee
- Nazareth Towers/Inner City Catholic Parishes, Inc., Board of Directors
- The Columbus Japanese Language School, Counsel
- Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER) at The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business
- Ohio-China Transnational Law Exchange Project and Ohio-Hubei Business Cooperation, Committee Member
- Ohio Housing Council
- Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce, Small Business Development Center, Advisor
- Ohio TechAngels Funds, Member and Advisor