Jim represents companies regarding patents, trademarks and trade dress, copyrights, trade secrets, restrictive covenants, and unfair competition in state and federal courts in proceedings in the United States and abroad.
Jim has over 30 years of experience in business litigation handling matters involving corporate dissolution, antitrust, e-discovery, mergers and acquisitions, breach of fiduciary duty and corporate governance. Jim is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers. He currently chairs the firm’s Litigation Department and is past president of the Columbus Chapter of the Federal Bar Association.
He was named "Lawyer of the Year" 2013 Columbus, Ohio in Litigation - Mergers & Acquisitions Law and “Lawyer of the Year” 2015 Columbus, Ohio in Litigation – Intellectual Property by Best Lawyers®. Since 2008, Jim has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation, Mergers and Acquisitions Litigation, and Patent Litigation. Additionally, Jim has been recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® for Business Litigation since 2006.
Jim has handled a number of post-acquisition disputes arising from stock or asset transactions in controversies over earn-out provisions, material adverse condition clauses, and purchase price adjustments.
Jim is a trained arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association, servicing on its Commercial Arbitration panel. He frequently lectures and teaches on topics of current interest in the field of trial practice, including trial evidence and expert witness procedures.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law (J.D., 1983)
- The Ohio State University (B.S., 1980)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- American Arbitration Association, Arbitrator
- Ohio State Bar Association, Federal Courts Committee
- Ohio State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Federal Bar Association, Columbus Chapter, President, 2007-2008
- Columbus Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Law Management Section
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Columbus, Ohio Litigation – Intellectual Property “Lawyer of the Year”, 2015, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation; Litigation – Intellectual Property; Litigation – Mergers & Acquisitions; Litigation – Patent
- Ohio Super Lawyers®
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, “Top 25 Columbus Super Lawyers®, 2017
- Best Lawyers®, Columbus, Ohio Litigation – Mergers & Acquisitions “Lawyer of the Year,” 2013
- Columbus Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, 2016-present
- Community Shelter Board, Trustee, 2000-2011, Board Chair, 2007-2009, Advisory Council, 2011-present
- Broad Street Food Pantry, Board Chair, 1992-2006
- The Ohio State University, Ohio Union Development, Co-Chair of the Barbie Tootle Room, 2006-2008
- Broad Street Presbyterian Church, Elder
- United Way of Central Ohio, Alexis de Tocqueville Society