Jim has over 35 years of experience in business litigation handling matters involving corporate dissolution, intellectual property, contracts, mergers and acquisitions, e-discovery, breach of fiduciary duty, shareholder disputes and corporate governance. In addition, he is a trained arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association, serving on its Commercial Arbitration panel.
Jim’s intellectual property work includes disputes related to patents, trademarks, trade dress, copyrights, trade secrets, restrictive covenants and unfair competition in state and federal courts, on the domestic and international stage.
He regularly handles post-acquisition disputes arising from stock or asset transactions in controversies over earn-out provisions, material adverse condition clauses and purchase price adjustments.
Jim is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers and is past president of the Columbus Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. He currently chairs the firm’s Litigation Department. He was named “Lawyer of the Year” 2013 Columbus, Ohio in Litigation - Mergers & Acquisitions Law, “Lawyer of the Year” 2018 and 2015 Columbus, Ohio in Litigation – Intellectual Property by Best Lawyers®, and “Lawyer of the Year” 2021 and 2019 Columbus, Ohio in Litigation – Patent. Since 2008, Jim has been listed in Best Lawyers® for Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Intellectual Property, Litigation - Mergers and Acquisitions, and Litigation - Patent. Additionally, Jim has been recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® for Business Litigation since 2006.
Jim is a frequent lecturer and presenter on topics of current interest in the field of trial practice, including trial evidence and expert witness procedures and tactics.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law (J.D., 1983)
- The Ohio State University (B.S., 1980)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- American Arbitration Association, Arbitrator
- Ohio State Bar Association, Federal Courts Committee
- Ohio State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Federal Bar Association, Columbus Chapter, President, 2007-2008
- Columbus Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Law Management Section
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Columbus, Ohio Litigation – Patent, “Lawyer of the Year,” 2019, 2021
- Best Lawyers®, Columbus, Ohio Litigation – Intellectual Property, “Lawyer of the Year,” 2015, 2018
- Best Lawyers®, Columbus, Ohio Litigation – Mergers & Acquisitions, “Lawyer of the Year,” 2013
- Best Lawyers®, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation – Mergers & Acquisitions, Litigation – Patent
- Ohio Super Lawyers®
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, “Top 50 Columbus Super Lawyers,” 2020
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, “Top 25 Columbus Super Lawyers,” 2017
- Columbus Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, 2016-present
- Community Shelter Board, Trustee, 2000-2011, Board Chair, 2007-2009, Advisory Council, 2011-2015
- Broad Street Food Pantry, Board Chair, 1992-2006
- The Ohio State University, Ohio Union Development, Co-Chair of the Barbie Tootle Room, 2006-2008
- United Way of Central Ohio, Alexis de Tocqueville Society
- Broad Street Presbyterian Church, Elder