Jim is a partner in the firm’s Litigation Department where his practice focuses on complex business and corporate litigation involving commercial disputes, securities claims, class actions, antitrust and regulatory enforcement actions.
He has represented companies, boards of directors, and special committees in investigations concerning regulatory compliance, securities, shareholder derivative, FCPA and whistleblower matters.
He has extensive experience defending companies and public entities in toxic tort cases, environmental enforcement actions, and citizen suits. Jim also leads the firm’s Government Contracts practice. His experience in this area is both as counselor and a litigator. He has broad-based experience assisting contractors and subcontractors in a wide range of federal, state and local procurement matters, including contract formation issues and strategies, bid protests, contract performance and interpretation disputes, labor standards, patent and technical data protection, post-performance audits, internal investigations and False Claim Act allegations.
Jim is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in areas of Commercial Litigation and Corporate Law and is recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyer®. He has an AV-rating from Martindale-Hubbell®.
Before joining the firm, Jim served in the Pentagon as an assistant to the General Counsel in the Office of the Secretary of the Army. From 1992 to 1994, he was an associate with a large Washington, D.C. law firm.
- The Ohio State University College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1988)
- University of Michigan (B.A., with distinction, 1985)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Supreme Court of the United States
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Amicus Briefs Committee, Co-Chair
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Trial Techniques and Tactics Committee, Chair
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, Corporate Law
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, Business Litigation
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Stanford Law School, International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy, Faculty, 2011
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, Volunteer Mediator