Fred chairs the firm’s Labor and Employment Department. For more than 30 years, he has successfully represented clients in employment discrimination litigation, union avoidance campaigns, collective bargaining, and wage and hour matters around the country. He has helped clients avoid employee-relations difficulties by providing proactive advice and counsel on the day-to-day issues that arise during the course of an employment relationship.
Fred regularly represents employer interests in employment discrimination, wage and hour, and contract-based litigation claims in both state and federal court and before various administrative agencies. In the employment discrimination and wrongful discharge arena, his representation encompasses common law claims such as breach of contract and public policy violations as well as claims under employment statutes such as Title VII, the ADA, the ADEA, the FMLA, the FLSA and many other local, state and federal laws and regulations.
In addition, Fred routinely represents employers facing union organizing campaigns and provides advice and advocacy on union avoidance, bargaining-unit composition, and representational proceedings. He also works closely with unionized employers in connection with unfair labor practice charges before the NLRB, grievance representation, collective bargaining agreement negotiations, strike readiness activities, and so-called “hybrid” 301 actions.
Fred is a Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers and is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®, Ohio Super Lawyers® and Chambers USA.
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., 1978)
- Union College (B.A., cum laude, 1975)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- American Bar Association, Section on Labor and Employment Law, Member
- Ohio State Bar Association
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Fellow
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, Employment & Labor; Employment Litigation: Defense
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Employment Law-Management; Labor Law-Management; Litigation-Labor & Employment
- Chambers USA, Labor & Employment, Ohio
- Union College, Board of Trustees
- Goodwill Industries of Columbus, Trustee