Donna has noteworthy experience in counseling clients in the areas of technology implementations, ERP systems, cloud computing services, e-commerce, software licensing and internet law, as well as general business matters. With her general business background, she continues to work in a broad spectrum of areas and brings business sense to technology and intellectual property matters.
Donna has CIPP-US certification and counsels clients in privacy and data security matters, including responding to data breaches. A significant part of Donna’s practice involves technology implementations in healthcare settings, including safeguarding of protected health information and electronic medical records. She also draws on her significant background in construction law, and continues to work with clients to develop and implement sound contracting strategies.
She helps clients with both traditional and emerging technologies. She enjoys preparing, evaluating, and negotiating information technology contracts, licensing of intellectual property, and developing and negotiating software licensing agreements, many of which operate the core of her clients' businesses. Donna regularly counsels concerning hardware and software acquisition; third party hosting, SaaS, PaaS, IaaS and cloud computing agreements; website development and hosting; issues related to use of open source software; joint development agreements; and transfer of technology and intellectual property rights in corporate acquisitions. Donna writes and speaks frequently on topics including managing the risks associated with e-commerce, conducting business through the Internet, and protecting intellectual property. Clients rely on her extensive experience in Internet law and regulation and the constantly evolving models of technology implementations. With a background in various corporate transactions, Donna also advises clients in general business matters, including franchising, franchise disclosure documents, drafting and negotiating construction contracts, revising and negotiating contracts published by the American Institute of Architects and other professional service contracts.
Donna counsels clients concerning responding to data breach incidents, complying with privacy and data security laws at the state and federal level, as well as international privacy and data protection laws and regulations, including contractual provisions to address privacy and data security issues in many types of business transactions. She achieved Certified Information Privacy Professional status through the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
She presently chairs the firm’s Technology, Privacy & Data Security practice group and formerly chaired the Intellectual Property & Technology Practice Group for 12 years.
- Capital University Law School (J.D., 1986)
- Capital University Law Review, editor-in-chief
- The College of Wooster (B.A., magna cum laude, 1974)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP)
- InfraGard®, Member
- International Technology Law Association (ITECHLAW)
- Columbus Intellectual Property Law Association (CIPLA), President, 2011-2012
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Columbus, Ohio Copyright Law, “Lawyer of the Year,” 2020
- Best Lawyers®, Copyright Law and Technology Law
- Lexology, Client Choice™ Award, Information Technology, 2014-2016
- LifeCare Alliance, John Marakas Philanthropic Spirit Award, 2007
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent
- Phi Beta Kappa
- LifeCare Alliance, Board of Directors