A past President of the Columbus Bar Association and a current governor (District 7 – Franklin County) on the Ohio State Bar Association’s Board of Governors, David is a partner in Porter Wright’s Litigation department. He serves as chair of both the firm's Intellectual Property Litigation and Business Competition practice group as well as its Probate, Trust and Guardianship Litigation practice group. He has a broad range of litigation experience in various state and federal courts, including matters with an emphasis on complex commercial business competition and intellectual property disputes. He has handled trust and estate litigation matters in probate court and various trial courts.
David regularly works with stakeholders in the health care industry, including pharmaceutical distributors, hospitals and other health care providers. He serves as a relationship partner for Cardinal Health. He has litigated various health care subrogation and reimbursement claims.
David has served as Special Counsel to the Attorney General for Ohio in a number of litigation matters. He is the firm's relationship partner for special-counsel work.
He has successfully tried cases in various federal and state courts both as lead counsel and supporting counsel. One of David's cases secured the top spot in the list of Central Ohio's largest jury verdicts for 2014. David has successfully argued before the United States Court of Appeals for the Second and Sixth Circuits and before appellate courts in Ohio.
David has been recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell®. Before joining Porter Wright, David clerked for the late Honorable Joseph P. Kinneary, Senior United States District Judge, Southern District of Ohio from June 1997-May 1999. He also clerked for the Court of Claims of Ohio from June 1995-April 1996.
In addition to his other bar service, David is the Columbus Bar Association's current delegate to the American Bar Association, House of Delegates and is the editor and co-founder of In Brief: The Columbus Bar Blawg, the Columbus Bar Association’s blog. He is also a board member of the Economic and Community Development Institute, and the secretary/treasurer of the Mirolo Charitable Foundation.
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law (J.D., 1997)
- Haverford College (B.A., 1994)
- London School of Economics (1993)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Columbus Bar Association
- Representative for Columbus Bar Association to the American Bar Association House of Delegates, 2015-2018
- President, 2011-2012
- Board of Governors, 2006-2013
- Notary Public Committee, Chair, 2010-2011; Member, 2010-present
- New Lawyers Committee, Chair, 2001-2003
- Barrister Leader Program, 1998-2000
- Admissions Committee, 2004-present
- Columbus Bar Services, Inc. (subsidiary of bar association), Board Member, 2009-2010
- CBS Agency, Inc., Board Member, 2009-2010
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section, Delegate; House of Delegates
- Ohio State Bar Association, District 7 Representative, Board of Governors, 2017-2019
- Supreme Court of Ohio, Commission on Technology and the Courts, 2008-2013
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Ohio State Bar Foundation, Class of 1999; Fellow 1998-present
- Columbus Bar Foundation, Trustee, 2009-2010; Fellow, 2005-present
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, Business Litigation
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars Edition, 2009
- Heritage Day Health Centers, Heritage Awards for Caring, 2009
- Order of the Coif
- Economic & Community Development Institute, Board Member, 2015-present
- Mirolo Charitable Foundation, Secretary/Treasurer, 2014-present
- Supreme Court of Ohio, Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentoring Program, Mentor 2009-present
- Upper Arlington Bear Cub Baseball, Head Coach and Assistant Coach, 2011-present
- Upper Arlington Youth Football, Assistant Coach, 2017-present
- Upper Arlington Mat Cub Wrestling, Volunteer Coach, 2013-2014
- The Ohio State University, Michael E. Moritz College of Law 2012 Class Reunion; Chair, 2007 Class Reunion, 1997 Reunion Committee Member
- The Ohio State University, Moritz College of Law, Mentoring at Moritz program, 2005-2006
- Leadership Columbus, Class of 2002
- Porter Wright United Way Campaign, Co-chair, 2001
- Clothes for Columbus, Co-chair, 1999-2000