Chris dedicates his practice on matters involving the Federal Water Pollution Control Act, CERCLA and RCRA matters, wetlands regulation, pretreatment requirements, state and local environmental statutes and regulations, and lender and fiduciary liability issues.
He has litigated a number of civil and criminal environmental matters, including service as lead counsel in Columbus & Franklin County Metropolitan Park District v. Shank — the leading decision in Ohio on water pollution control law — and in City of Canton v. Whitman, — a leading case on state control of public water supplies.
He has extensive experience in negotiating and drafting environmental provisions for purchase agreements, loan documents, real estate documents and other business documents. He has been listed in Best Lawyers® for the area of Environmental Law in every edition since 1991, and is a Fellow of the American College of Environmental Lawyers. He was named the Best Lawyers® 2010 and 2012 Columbus, Ohio Environmental “Lawyer of the Year.” Chris is also recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and is listed in Chambers USA as one of the leading attorneys in Environmental Law.
- University of Notre Dame Law School (J.D., 1972)
- John Carroll University (A.B., 1969)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Ohio Sewage Treatment System, Technical Advisory Committee
- Ohio Environmental Protection Agency Great Lakes Initiative, External Advisory Group
- Defense Research Institute
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American College of Environmental Lawyers, Fellow
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers®
- Best Lawyers®, Columbus, Ohio Environmental, “Lawyer of the Year,” 2010, 2012
- Best Lawyers®, Environmental Law and Litigation – Environmental
- Chambers USA, Natural Resources and Environment, Band One (highest ranking), Ohio