Porter Wright has a long history of representing businesses involved in the production, distribution and transportation of energy resources. As a result, our attorneys have developed proficiency in the many areas of the law associated with the oil and gas industry, and related industries, including issues facing producers and land owners in the Marcellus and Utica Shale plays that overlay eastern Ohio.
Our interdisciplinary team of attorneys represents some of the largest energy producers and other businesses in the country, advising them on day-to-day operational, governance, employment and contracting issues, providing guidance on complex transactions and representing their interests in litigation. Our attorneys work closely with clients to understand the unique aspects of their business, and each matter or case, to efficiently create workable, cost-effective solutions that help our clients achieve their goals.
As opportunities arise with the rapid pace of development of the Marcellus and Utica Shale plays, Porter Wright's oil and gas attorneys will use their long-standing knowledge to assist clients with the diverse challenges associated with deep shale drilling.
Our experience includes:
- Oil and gas and storage well leases
- Counseling businesses operating pipeline systems for the transportation of petroleum products
- Real estate and oil and gas conveyances, including easements, rights of way and production related rights
- Eminent domain, zoning and land use issues
- Joint operating agreements, drilling contracts, and gas gathering and transportation contracts
- Construction, purchase and sale of gas pipelines
- Bank, financial institution and private financing agreements and perfection of lien interests
- Tax considerations and incentives
- Regulatory compliance and permitting before the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and its Division of Mineral Resources Management, Ohio EPA, Environmental Review Appeals Commission, Ohio Power Siting Board, and Public Utilities Commission of Ohio
- Environmental permitting and other issues relating to wastewater discharges and disposal, groundwater contamination, Ohio Revised Code Chapter 1509, Clean Air Act, Clear Water Act, and wetland impact
- Project finance
- Corporate mergers, acquisitions and dispositions
- Litigation of disputes involving oil and gas leases, property rights and energy supply contracts,
- Labor and employment, including OSHA and workers' compensation matters
- Government relations