Terry has 45 years of experience at both the trial and appellate levels in both state and federal courts. His practice spans a broad range of cases from complex commercial disputes to professional negligence claims; from intentional tort allegations against employers to product liability lawsuits involving a broad spectrum of different products.
He was extensively involved in developing the professional negligence cases that were an important component of the resolution of the Home State Bank failure. Terry has tried numerous products liability cases involving snowmobiles, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, trucks, recreational vehicles and automobiles, bucket lifts and tires.
Terry has also counseled clients and tried cases where industrial workers have brought claims arising from alleged exposure to toxic substances in the workplace and injuries from incidents involving machinery.
Terry has represented clients on a national basis and has handled cases in Alabama, California, Texas, Illinois, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, Florida, New Mexico and Tennessee. He has argued before the Ohio Supreme Court, the Supreme Court of West Virginia and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America® every year since 1987. Terry was named Best Lawyers® 2010 Columbus, Ohio Personal Injury Litigator “Lawyer of the Year“ and Best Lawyers® 2012 Columbus, Ohio Product Liability Litigation-Defendants “Lawyer of the Year.” He was also recently named the Best Lawyers® 2014 Columbus, Ohio Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants “Lawyer of the Year." Terry has been recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® each year since 2004 and was listed among the Top 50 attorneys in Columbus in 2011 and 2014. He is listed as a Top Rated - AV Preeminent® Lawyer in Mass Tort Litigation by Martindale-Hubbell® and was also listed in Columbus Monthly’s “The Top Lawyers in Columbus” in 1997.
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D., 1972)
- Hobart College (B.A., 1969)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Ohio Chapter, past President
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Columbus Defense Association, past President
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Products Liability Advisory Council
- Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, past President
- Defense Research Institute, Inc., past State Representative; past Board of Directors
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, Distinguished Contributions to the Profession Award, 2017
- Ohio Super Lawyers®
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, “Top 50 Columbus Super Lawyers,” 2011, 2014, 2016
- Best Lawyers®, Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants, “Lawyer of the Year,” 2014
- Best Lawyers®, Product Liability Litigation – Defendants,” Lawyer of the Year,” 2012
- Best Lawyers®, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, “Lawyer of the Year,” 2010
- Best Lawyers®, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, Professional Malpractice Law- Defendants
- Columbus Monthly, The Top Lawyers in Columbus, 1997
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent
- Franklin County Common Pleas Court, Volunteer Settlement Mediator
- U.S. District Court, Volunteer Settlement Mediator
- Capital University Law School, Trial Advocacy Program, Volunteer Teacher