Rick has extensive experience with domestic, international and foreign patent applications. Rick’s technical experience includes automotive components, material handling equipment, footwear, vibration suppression systems, medical devices, material spreaders and sprayers, lawn and garden hand tools and powered equipment, combustion engines, consumer appliances, refrigeration systems, optical systems and sensors. Prior to law school, Rick was a design engineer for satellite imaging instruments.
Rick has been an adjunct faculty member of The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law since 2006, and currently teaches patent preparation and prosecution. From 2000 to 2005, Rick taught patent practice and procedure at the University of Dayton School of Law, and from 1997 to 1999 he taught patent law at Case Western Reserve University School of Law.
- University of Dayton School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1993)
- The Ohio State University (B.S.M.E., 1982)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- International Trademark Association, Designs Committee
- Columbus Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
Honors & Awards
- Law360 Distinguished Legal Writing Award, 2020 Burton Awards
- Ohio Academy of Science Central District, Science Fair Judge for Middle School
- University of Dayton School of Law, Program in Law and Technology (PILT), Advisory Board