Michelle focuses her practice on estate planning and wealth preservation as well as sports law. A significant portion of Michelle’s practice is tailored to addressing the complex needs and issues professional athletes and coaches face as they progress through various stages of their careers and beyond.
In her estate planning practice, Michelle provides counsel on a variety of matters associated with estate planning, tax planning, and wealth transfer. She routinely provides counsel to clients of ultra-high net worth, including advising families on succession planning for closely-held and multigenerational businesses.
No matter the financial success her clients have attained, Michelle always considers their long-term goals and concerns. She advises on gift, estate and income tax planning, asset protection, charitable giving, and special needs planning. And she has substantial experience in utilizing a wide range of estate and gift planning techniques and focuses on achieving client goals and strategically maximizing potential tax savings.
Michelle has represented trustees and executors in the administration of trusts and estates, assisting them in the proper implementation of a decedent’s estate plan and effective discharge of their fiduciary duties. She has prepared state and federal estate and fiduciary income tax returns. Michelle also works closely with heirs and beneficiaries to help them navigate the intricacies of trust and probate administration, beneficiary claims, and title transfers.
Michelle advises athletes and coaches at the collegiate and professional levels on the complex matters unique to the industry. She has worked with athletes and coaches in the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL. As an experienced sports attorney, athletes and coaches rely on Michelle’s counsel on a diverse range of matters including contract review and analysis, non-disclosure agreements, employment contracts, dispute resolution, trademark and licensing issues, and establishment of business entities.
- University of San Diego School of Law (LL.M., 2004)
- University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law (J.D., 2003)
- California State University (B.S., 1998)
- The American College of Financial Services, Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy (CAP®), 2016
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Central Ohio
- California Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County
Honors & Awards
- Women for Economic and Leadership Development, Women WELDing the Way Honoree, 2020
- Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch, Entertainment and Sports Law and Trusts and Estates, 2021
- Greater Columbus Sports Commission, Board of Directors, Past Member
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure Columbus, Board of Directors, Past Member; Komen Young Professionals, Past Chair
- Young Professional Leaders Roundtable, Inaugural Member