Mike represents creditors and debtors in connection with bankruptcy and commercial law matters including business reorganizations, foreclosures, workouts, restructurings, asset dispositions and secured transactions. He also maintains a general corporate and transactional practice and helps clients make sound strategic decisions with the benefit of clear, concise legal counsel. Above all, Mike works with his clients to find effective and efficient resolutions to the issues at hand.
Representative Chapter 11 bankruptcy representations include: In re Liberty Power Holdings, LLC (Bankr. S.D. Fla., Asset Purchaser); In re Western Reserve Water Systems, Inc. (Bankr. N.D. Ohio, Secured Lendor); In re MF Global Inc. (SIPA case, Bankr. S.D.N.Y., Commodity Futures Claimant); In re Filene's Basement, LLC (Bankr. D. Del., Clothing Supplier); In re M.E. Supply, Inc. (Bankr. N.D. Ohio, Secured Lender); In re Felda Plantation, LLC (Bankr. M.D. Fla., Debtor); In re A123 Systems, Inc. (Bankr. D. Del., Parts Supplier); In re McBran Holdings, Inc. (Bankr. M.D. Fla., Secured Lender); In re Schwab Industries, Inc. (Bankr. N.D. Ohio, Asset Purchaser/Joint Venture Partner); In re Chrysler, LLC (Bankr. N.D. Ohio, Del., Parts Supplier); and In re General Motors Corp. (Bankr. D. Del., Parts Supplier).
In particular, he assists financial institutions, asset-based lenders, loan servicers, vendors, suppliers and other creditor or debtor interests in connection with loan workout transactions and bankruptcy matters, and he represents lenders, borrowers and loan servicers in connection with receiverships and foreclosure matters.
Mike analyzes corporate transactions to assess the ability to withstand the rigors of bankruptcy and represents acquirers of financially distressed businesses in connection with, or apart from, bankruptcy proceedings and receiverships. Additionally, he represents the interests of landlords and equipment lessors in collecting delinquent obligations and recovering assets.
Mike also represents various privately held businesses and high net worth individuals in connection with major acquisitions and dispositions and provides advice regarding complex business transactions, contract negotiations and dispute resolution. He represents developers and other parties in connection with the purchase and sale of real estate interests and provides advice regarding the recovery and disposition of collateral in compliance with the provisions of Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code. Mike also represents lenders and borrowers in the negotiation and documentation of commercial loans involving real estate and other forms of collateral. Additionally, Mike provides representation on tax-exempt and taxable bond transactions, and represents borrowers in connection with public finance matters. Mike is also a speaker at numerous seminars and gives client presentations on corporate, bankruptcy, distressed real estate and Uniform Commercial Code matters.
- The Ohio State University College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1992)
- University of Notre Dame (B.B.A., with honors, 1989)
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Business Bankruptcy Law - American Board of Certification, Board Certified, 2003
- Certified Public Accountant (inactive), Ohio, 1996
- Collier County Bar Association, Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Real Estate Law
- Ohio Super Lawyers®
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park Association
- Christian Legal Services