Michael has spent more than 35 years litigating complex commercial disputes across the country and is known by clients for his ability to successfully resolve a wide variety of matters. He possesses a depth of experience conducting trials in federal and state courts, as well as evidentiary hearings involving motions for preliminary injunctions and other preliminary requests for relief.
Having litigated scores of different types of matters across a number of industries, Michael is adept at evaluating claims in the early stages of litigation to determine the most effective and efficient case strategy for his clients.
Michael has handled disputes involving fraud and unfair business practices, trademark and trade secret theft, restrictive covenants, breach of contract claims, professional liability, and environmental issues. He has also defended corporate clients in state and federal grand jury investigations arising out of alleged violations of the federal antitrust laws, the Illinois Environmental Protection Act, and the federal Occupational Safety and Health Act. In addition to litigating matters in court, Michael has conducted arbitrations before the American Arbitration Association, National Association of Securities Dealers, and private arbitration panels and trials before the Illinois Pollution Control Board. Michael has also successfully mediated cases before private and court appointed mediators.
- University of North Carolina School of Law (J.D., with honors, 1981)
- Davidson College (B.A., 1976)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- Chicago Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Illinois Super Lawyers®
- Illinois Leading Lawyers, Commercial litigation
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent
- On Your Feet Foundation, Board of Directors, 2010-2016
- Chicago United Way Crusade of Mercy, former Chairman of the Special Gifts Division