Matt focuses on creditors' rights and bankruptcy-related issues. He has successfully built his practice by taking a creative and collaborative approach to solving even the most complex legal issues.
In his role as outside general counsel for clients in a range of industries and of varying sizes, Matt represents both creditors and debtors in bankruptcy proceedings. He has extensive experience representing creditors in Chapter 7, 11, and 13 bankruptcy proceedings including Motions for Relief from Stay, lien avoidance, prosecution of fraud claims and defense and prosecution of preference and turnover claims.
He counsels his clients on a full range of legal issues, including loan transactions, breach of contract, workouts and forbearance agreements, receivership matters, foreclosures, fraud claims, terms and conditions for sale, warranties, purchase orders, and other commercial contracts.
After law school, Matt clerked for the Honorable Marilyn Shea-Stonum at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Ohio. Matt is a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corp. where he earned the rank of sergeant and was a Machine Gun Section Leader.
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1998)
- The College of Wooster (B.A.)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- American Bankruptcy Institute, member
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Alumni Association
- National Marine Corps business Network, Cleveland Chapter
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America®, 2018-2020
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, 2015-2020, Rising Star, 2009, 2011
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Marvin & Sue Sicherman Excellence in Bankruptcy Award
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, William J. O'Neill Bankruptcy Institute, co-chair