Kathleen concentrates her practice in the area of governmental and regulatory litigation, business disputes and constitutional law. She is the chair of the firm's Energy practice.
She handles cases involving constitutional challenges to state and local laws or orders, First Amendment claims, rate making and price discrimination, contract disputes, trademarks, professional ethics, public records, injunctions, and special writs in the Ohio Supreme Court.
In addition to representing parties in federal and state courts, Kathleen also has experience arbitrating disputes. She was selected by the Private Adjudication Center at Duke University to serve as an arbitrator in the Dalkon Shield products liability class action settlement and in the Smith Barney employment discrimination class action settlement.
Prior to joining the firm in 1988, Kathleen was deputy chief counsel to the Ohio Attorney General. She had primary responsibility for defending the state of Ohio in litigation resulting from the Ohio savings and loan crisis. She argued before the United States Supreme Court in Ohio Civil Rights Commission v. Dayton Christian Schools, 477 U.S. 619 (1986).
Kathleen is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and served on the ACTL Board of Regents from 2013-2017. She is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® and has been recognized as a “Leader in their Field” for Commercial Litigation in Ohio by Chambers USA every year since 2006.
- Capital University Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1979)
- Kent State University (M.A., 1971)
- Nazareth College of Rochester (B.A., 1970)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Supreme Court of the United States
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow; Board of Regents, 2013-2017
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers, Fellow
- Columbus Bar Association, President 2008; Board of Governors, 2002-2009
- Equal Justice Foundation, Board of Trustees, 2003-2008
- Ohio Legal Assistance Foundation, Board of Trustees, 2012-2017, President, 2014
- Columbus Bar Foundation, Trustee, 2014-2020
- Ohio Constitution Modernization Commission, 2012-2017
- Franklin County Law Library Board, 2006-2017
- American Constitutional Society, Columbus Lawyer Chapter, Founding Member; Advisory Board Co-Chair, 2009-2010
Honors & Awards
- Benchmark Litigation, “Local Litigation Star,” 2018
- Best Lawyers® Columbus, Ohio Litigation - Regulatory Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy) “Lawyer of the Year,” 2014, 2018
- Best Lawyers®, Columbus, Ohio Bet-the-Company Litigation “Lawyer of the Year,” 2017
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, General Litigation
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, “Top 100 Attorneys in Ohio,” “Top 50 Women Attorneys in Ohio,” “Top 25 Columbus Women Attorneys”
- Chambers USA, Litigation: General Commercial, Ohio
- Benchmark Top 250 Women in Litigation guide, Top Female Litigators, 2012-2013
- Benchmark Litigation guide, Ohio's Top Litigators, 2015
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Bet-the-Company Litigation; Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Regulatory Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy)
- Columbus Bar Association, Bar Service Medal, 2016
- Ohio State Bar Association, Nettie Cronius Lutes Leadership Award, 2015
- American Constitutional Society, Columbus Lawyers Chapter, Distinguished Service Award, 2014
- Columbus Bar Foundation, Outstanding Pro Bono Service by an Individual, 2001
- Ohio Lawyers’ Weekly, Lawyer of the Year, 2000