Joe is a highly experienced trial lawyer who focuses his practice in the area of product liability, complex professional liability, intellectual property, class actions, and commercial law. Joe represents corporate clients throughout the country on trademark, service mark and trade dress claims.
The National Law Journal singled out his defense of a Cleveland psychologist as the “Most Impressive Civil Defense Verdict in the United States in 2002.”
A member of the International Association of Defense Counsel since 1989, Joe has held numerous positions within the organization during that time, including serving as vice president of The Foundation of the IADC and director of the IADC Trial Academy. Joe has also served as the co-editor of the Joan Irick Privacy Project of the IADC and as the initial director of the IADC’s Jury Trial Innovations Project. In 2010, Joe was elected as president of the Board of Directors of the IADC – a distinguished appointment from the Association, which is comprised of over 2,400 members internationally.
Joe has taught trial skills through the Ohio Trial Advocacy Skills Workshop as well as the IACD Trial Academy.
The District Court for the Southern District of Ohio has recognized Joe’s long service as a selected mediator in that court with a memento signed by all of the judges on the court.
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D., 1978)
- Villanova University (M.A., 1971)
- St. Joseph's University (B.A., 1970)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Tax Court
- Supreme Court of the United States
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Board Member, 2006-2012; President, 2010-2011
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Co-Chair, Division II (Publications), 2005-2009; Taskforce on the Judiciary, Co-Chair, 2002-2004; Committee Newsletters Co-Chair; Litigation News, Editor-In-Chief, 2000-2002; Reporter/Editor, 1985-2000; Section of Litigation, Division II — Publications, Co-Director, 2005-2009
- American Arbitration Association, Panel of Arbitrators
- Defense Research Institute, Board of Directors, 2009-2012
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys
- Federal Bar Association
- Lawyers for Civil Justice, Board of Directors, 2009-2012
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Columbus, Ohio Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, “Lawyer of the Year,” 2020
- Ohio Super Lawyers®
- Best Lawyers®, Litigation - Intellectual Property, Litigation - Real Estate and Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- Who’s Who Legal, Product Liability Defense
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, Mediator
- International Association of Defense Counsel Foundation, Board of Directors, Vice President, 2004
- Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Board of Trustees, 1980-1990
- Columbus Speech and Hearing Center, Board of Directors; Past President, 1995-1996