John is co-partner-in-charge of the Pittsburgh office and a seasoned litigator and trial lawyer. He has established an impressive track record of results in a variety of high-stakes litigation matters. From class actions and appeals to financial services litigation, he has successfully resolved some of his clients’ most challenging legal issues in state and federal courts across the country.
Among other things, John has successfully defended several leading financial services companies in dozens of class actions alleging predatory lending practices. He also has substantial expertise litigating and trying complex breach-of-contract matters, including prevailing in an international patent license dispute in both U.S. District Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Recently, John negotiated and settled the largest case of its type in U.S. history, which involved $175 million in claims against the federal government following more than 10 years of litigation. John's team also achieved a complete defense verdict for his client in February 2021 following a four-day trial that he first-chaired in federal court in Delaware, defeating breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract claims seeking more than $19 million.
John also has considerable appellate experience, successfully representing clients in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third and Fourth Circuits and in the Maryland Court of Appeals. He is also very active in the community and recently served as the chairman of the Board of Directors of the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank.
As a reflection of his strong standing in the legal community, John was one of only eight Pittsburgh attorneys to be recognized by Chambers USA® in the area of commercial litigation. He also received an AV Preeminent rating as result of a peer review conducted by Martindale-Hubbell®.
- Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1996)
- Pennsylvania State University (B.S., 1986)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Supreme Court of the United States
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA, Litigation/General Commercial
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent
- National Association of Corporate Directors, Private Company Board of the Year 2023
- Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, Board of Directors, Chair, 2018-present
- Western Pennsylvania Division of the March of Dimes, Board of Trustees, Chair, 2005-2011
- Pennsylvania State Chapter of the March of Dimes, Board of Trustees, Chair, 2008-2011
- Republican National Convention, Delegate, 2008
- Lawyers in the Classroom and Neighborhood Legal Services, Volunteer