Jay litigates business disputes involving technology, intellectual property, financial services, and contract rights. He regularly advises clients on and litigates, copyright, covenant not to compete, cybersquatting, defamation, e-discovery, false advertising, social media, trade dress, trademark, trade secret and unfair competition issues. Jay also has litigated claims brought under the Uniform Commercial Code, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act and the Ohio Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
Jay is the chair of the firm’s E-Discovery Practice Group and regularly advises clients on the management and discovery of electronically stored information and computer forensic investigations.
He is also the co-chair of the firm’s Social Media Practice Group. Jay regularly speaks and writes about technology, e-discovery and brand protection issues. He is a regular contributor to the Technology Law Source blog.
Jay clerked for retired United States Magistrate Judge Mark R. Abel of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio before joining the firm. He is a past president of the Columbus Chapter of the Federal Bar Association.
- The Ohio State University College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1997)
- University of Notre Dame (B.A., magna cum laude, 1994)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Federal Bar Association, Columbus Chapter, Past President
- Columbus Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Columbus Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Legal Technology Association (ILTA)
- Ohio State Bar Foundation, Fellow, Class of 2012
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rated
- Pelotonia, Porter Wright Captain, 2014-2018
- Ohioana Library Association, Board Member
- Salesian Boys and Girls Club of Columbus, Board Member, 2007-2009
- St. Francis of Assisi Parish Council, 2004-2006
- Leadership Columbus, Class of 2005
- United Way of Central Ohio, Porter Wright Campaign, Co-chair, 2003
- Columbus Bar Association, Barrister Leader Program, 2001-2002