Jay litigates business disputes involving technology, intellectual property, financial services, and contract rights. He regularly advises clients on contract, covenant not to compete, false advertising, social media, trademark, trade secret and unfair competition issues and in corporate dissolution and post-acquisition disputes. He has litigated cases in federal and state courts and in arbitrations in multiple states.
Jay is the co-chair of the firm’s E-Discovery Practice Group and regularly advises clients on the management and discovery of electronically stored information and computer forensic investigations. He regularly speaks and writes about technology and e-discovery issues.
Jay is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation and is peer-rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®. He is a past president of the Columbus Chapter of the Federal Bar Association.
Jay clerked for retired United States Magistrate Judge Mark R. Abel of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio before joining the firm.
- The Ohio State University College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1997)
- University of Notre Dame (B.A., magna cum laude, 1994)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Federal Bar Association, Columbus Chapter, Past President
- Columbus Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Columbus Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Legal Technology Association (ILTA)
- Ohio State Bar Foundation, Fellow, Class of 2012
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Commercial Litigation
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent
- Pelotonia, Porter Wright Captain, 2014-2019
- Ohioana Library Association, Board Member
- Salesian Boys and Girls Club of Columbus, Board Member, 2007-2009
- St. Francis of Assisi Parish Council, 2004-2006
- Leadership Columbus, Class of 2005
- United Way of Central Ohio, Porter Wright Campaign, Co-chair, 2003
- Columbus Bar Association, Barrister Leader Program, 2001-2002