Jason represents companies in a variety of complex commercial litigations and arbitrations, with an emphasis on reinsurance, insurance, healthcare and antitrust disputes, as well as counseling in franchise and distribution matters. As a former economic analyst – both with the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice and with Capitol Economics in Washington, D.C. – Jason also brings to his practice the perspective of an economist and a regulator.
Regardless of the substance of the matter, Jason seeks to fully understand his clients’ objectives and maintains frequent communication to assure those objectives are obtained.
Jason brings particular experience advising and representing corporate clients in litigation to remedy the economic damages they have incurred as a result of antitrust conspiracies in the market for key inputs into their own business operations. He has spoken with national media outlets on the widening generic drug price fixing investigation and related litigation.
His experience also includes successfully defending clients against allegations of RICO, fraud, conspiracy and breach of contract. Jason has first-chaired and second-chaired a number of significant reinsurance arbitrations, representing both cedents and reinsurers. Among those arbitrations, Jason has dealt with multiple disputes involving automobile dealer/producer-owned reinsurance companies and cedents over the termination of their reinsurance agreements, having served as counsel as well as umpire and party-appointed arbitrator on ADR panels faced with related issues. Jason also regularly advises clients on changes to their existing product distribution networks.
- University of Chicago Law School (J.D., 1998)
- Swarthmore College (B.A., 1992)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- American Arbitration Association, National Roster of Arbitrators, Panelist
- American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, Member; Health Care and Pharmaceuticals Committee, Vice-Chair; Insurance and Financial Services Committee, former Vice-Chair; The Exchange (IFS Committee Newsletter), former Editor; Compliance and Ethics Committee, former Vice-Chair; Distribution and Franchising Committee, former Vice-Chair; The Franchise and Dealership Termination Handbook (2d ed.), former Co-Project Chair
- ARIAS-U.S., Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Section Council on Antitrust & Unfair Competition Law, Member; Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law newsletter, former Co-Editor
- Chicago Bar Association, Antitrust Committee, former Chairman and Vice Chairman
Honors & Awards
- The Legal 500 United States, Insurance (Recommended Attorney)