For more than 20 years, Jason has represented companies in a variety of complex commercial litigations and arbitrations, with an emphasis on reinsurance, insurance, healthcare and antitrust disputes, as well as counseling in franchise and distribution matters. He also adjudicates commercial disputes as a panelist on the American Arbitration Association National Roster of Arbitrators. Regardless of the substance of the matter, Jason seeks to fully understand his clients’ objectives and maintains frequent communication to assure those objectives are obtained.
As a former economic analyst with the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, Jason brings the combined perspectives of an economist and a regulator to his practice.
Jason brings particular experience advising and representing corporate clients in litigation to remedy the economic damages they have incurred as a result of antitrust conspiracies in the market for key inputs into their own business operations. Jason has also represented organizations defending against class action allegations that their companies have been part of an antitrust conspiracy either to fix prices or reduce output in a variety of industries. His experience also includes successfully defending clients against related allegations of RICO, fraud, conspiracy and breach of contract. In addition, Jason regularly advises clients on changes to their existing product distribution networks. He also has experience counseling clients on antitrust matters before state and federal regulators, including in response to third-party subpoenas and civil investigative demands.
Jason has first-chaired and second-chaired a number of significant reinsurance arbitrations, representing cedents and reinsurers. Among those arbitrations, Jason has dealt with multiple disputes involving automobile dealer/producer-owned reinsurance companies and cedents over the termination of their reinsurance agreements, having served as counsel as well as umpire and party-appointed arbitrator on ADR panels faced with related issues. With the increasing reliance on representations and warranties insurance to facilitate M&A transactions, Jason has also developed an understanding of the nature of claims made under those policies in order to best serve as an advisor for companies involved in that claim resolution process.
- University of Chicago Law School (J.D., 1998)
- Swarthmore College (B.A., 1992)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- American Arbitration Association, National Roster of Arbitrators, Panelist
- American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, Member; Health Care and Pharmaceuticals Committee, Vice-Chair; Insurance and Financial Services Committee, former Vice-Chair; The Exchange (IFS Committee Newsletter), former Editor; Compliance and Ethics Committee, former Vice-Chair; Distribution and Franchising Committee, former Vice-Chair; The Franchise and Dealership Termination Handbook (2d ed.), former Co-Project Chair
- ARIAS-U.S., Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Section Council on Antitrust & Unfair Competition Law, former Member; Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law newsletter, former Co-Editor
- Chicago Bar Association, Antitrust Committee, former Chairman and Vice Chairman
Honors & Awards
- The Legal 500 United States, Insurance (Recommended Attorney)