Jim practices in the areas of employee benefits and commercial transactions. In the employee benefits area, his primary focus is on the design, implementation, administration, amendment and termination of group health plan and other welfare plan benefits. He assists clients with cafeteria plans, third-party administration agreements, and HIPAA privacy and security rule compliance.
In the commercial transactions area, he primarily focuses on tax-exempt and taxable bond financing and the issuance of letters of credit, representing issuers, underwriters, borrowers and trustees in note and bond transactions. Jim has worked extensively with both lenders and borrowers in matters involving asset-based lending, ESOP financing and other commercial loan transactions and financing, commercial and consumer collection actions, foreclosures and bankruptcy proceedings, state and federal regulatory and compliance issues involving financial institutions and their customers, commercial law issues and in other matters involving creditors' rights.
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D., 1985)
- The Pennsylvania State University (B.A., with high distinction, 1981)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Ohio State Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Section of Business Law, State Survey Subcommittee of Commercial Financial Services Committee, Co-Chair; Section of Taxation
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Equipment Finance Law, “Lawyer of the Year,” 2019
- Best Lawyers®, Banking & Finance Law and Equipment Finance Law
- Chambers USA, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation, Ohio
- Grace Brethren Church Nursing Home Ministry