Tom co-chairs the firm’s Construction Practice Group. Before becoming a construction lawyer, Tom spent 26 years managing construction projects. This experience provides him with a unique set of skills to offer clients: broad technical knowledge of the commercial construction industry and a practical approach to dispute avoidance and resolution. Tom regularly represents construction and real estate industry clients in transactional needs (i.e. contract negotiations and drafting, teaming agreements, licensing), project claims (i.e. nonpayment, nonperformance, defect cure, delay, acceleration, mechanic’s liens) and dispute resolution including negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation.
Tom is a builder’s attorney having worked as both a builder and a construction company owner. His experience allows him to counsel clients in an effective and efficient manner in all their construction business needs.
Tom is well-versed in the intricacies of commercial real estate development. He has bought, developed, leased and sold commercial property. Tom has created proformas, developed if-come design, negotiated easements and tenant leases and secured financing for projects. He has constructed infrastructure, storefronts, vanilla boxes and lease-back developments in a variety of industries including medical, retail, industrial and office. Tom understands that in real estate development - time is money. His hands-on approach benefits his clients through efficient communication and prompt counsel on critical issues.
Having formed and operated a successful construction company, which was selected as the fastest-growing company in Central Ohio by Columbus Business First in 2000, Tom is competent in company formation, business planning, target marketing and staffing. He understands the business side of the industry to best serve construction business owners protecting their interests through contract review and analysis, timely practical advice and defending rights when their interests are challenged. Tom understands entrepreneurial drive and protects against the risks associated with creating and operating a successful business.
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2013)
- The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business (B.S., cum laude, 2008)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Green Building Council, LEED Accredited Professional, 2005
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars Edition, 2019-2021
- Columbus Business First, Forty Under 40, 2001
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award® in Pretrial Litigation
- Miranova Homeowners Association, Board of Directors, 2020