Phil is a partner in the firm’s Litigation Department, where he is the co-chair of the firm’s Class Action, MDL and Mass Torts Litigation practice groups. His practice is focused on complex litigation, including defending businesses named as defendants in class actions, product liability cases, toxic tort litigation, defense of securities fraud and antitrust cases, contract disputes and trade secret disputes. He has handled all phases of litigation from pre-suit investigation and initial pleadings and motions, through discovery, experts and summary judgement to trial and on appeal. His experience covers a broad range of industries, including food, consumer products, specialty chemical, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and oil and gas.
Phil's practice includes serving as trial counsel in complex multi-district or multi-jurisdiction litigation. He has also arbitrated disputes under the rules of the American Arbitration Association, the CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution and the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris, France.
Prior to his private sector work, Phil was a law clerk to the Honorable Alice M. Batchelder, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. He also worked for three years in the Wisconsin legislature, serving ultimately as the chief of staff to Senator Lynn Adelman, who now serves on the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin in Milwaukee.
Phil teaches an advanced course on Expert Witnesses and Scientific Evidence at Case Western Reserve University's School of Law. Additionally, he has served as a faculty member at the Litigation Academy of the U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island, a skills-based program focused on developing courtroom techniques for direct and cross-examination of expert witnesses.
Phil serves as a public member of the Sixth Circuit Advisory Committee on Rules, a role to which he was appointed by then-Chief Judge Danny Boggs of the Sixth Circuit. In 2012 Phil served as chair of the committee. He is also a life member of the judicial Conference of the Sixth Circuit.
- Harvard Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2000)
- College of the Holy Cross (B.A., summa cum laude, 1993)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Tax Court
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Sixth Circuit Advisory Committee on Rules, Chair, 2012
- Federal Bar Association, Northern District of Ohio Chapter, Board of Directors
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Foundation, 2011 Fellows Class
- City Club of Cleveland, Programming Committee
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Litigation Section
- John Manos Inn of Court
- Judicial Conference of the U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, Life Member
- Justinian Forum
- Product Liability Advisory Council Inc., Sustaining Member
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Product Liability Litigation-Defendants
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, Personal Injury - Products: Defense, General Litigation, Appellate
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars Edition, 2005-2007, 2009-2010
- Cleveland's Best Lawyers
- City Club of Cleveland, Debate Committee