Devan concentrates her practice in oil and gas, antitrust and litigation. She has defended oil and gas production companies in issues surrounding deductions from royalty checks, liability for plugging and abandonment costs, development of mineral interests acquired at tax sales and partition in lieu of forced pooling. She has served as counsel to a pipeline company in a suit brought by joint venture partners alleging breach of operating agreement, negligence and breach of fiduciary duty. She has experience in predatory pricing and horizontal price fixing claims, as well as antitrust compliance programs, policies and procedures. Further, Devan served as counsel to an oil company in a case implicating the West Virginia Unfair Practices Act that related to retail gasoline pricing.
Prior to joining Porter Wright, Devan worked as a dairy business consultant for an industry-leading animal nutrition entity, advising dairy farm clients in Vermont, New Hampshire and New York on strategies for increased herd productivity and profit maximization. Her analysis of issues included commodity selection and purchasing, crop management, and cow health. She also owned her own Jersey and Holstein cows. Additionally, she served as an adjunct professor at West Virginia University’s Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design.
- Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law (J.D., 2014)
- Cornell University (B.S., cum laude, 2008)
- West Virginia
- West Virginia Oil and Natural Gas Association
- Independent Oil and Gas Association
- West Virginia Farm Bureau
- West Virginia Forestry Association
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, Agricultural Management Committee, Newsletter Vice-Chair
Honors & Awards
- Leadership Harrison, 2015
- The Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction (CALI), CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Legal Writing, 2011
- West Virginia University, Adjunct Professor, 2015, 2017