Brian is an active trial attorney with over 42 years of experience representing clients in court, arbitration and mediation on a wide range of commercial disputes. His trial practice emphasizes construction, representing project owners, contractors, and design and engineering professionals on construction projects. Brian also counsels clients in the areas of real estate, energy, and general business counseling and litigation.
In addition to his trial work, Brian dedicates a substantial amount of his practice to representing clients in the pursuit of Alternative Dispute Resolutions (ADR) and serving as an arbitrator and mediator in ADR matters. He is a trained and experienced arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association (AAA), serving on its Commercial Panel of arbitrators since 1980, its Construction Panel since 1984, its Real Estate panel, and its Large Complex Case Panel of arbitrators determining disputes with a value of over $1 million since 2004. Since his initial AAA appointment in 1980, Brian has been appointed by the AAA as an arbitrator or mediator on over 200 cases. In the last four years alone, he has issued or participated in over 30 written decisions as an AAA arbitrator on matters ranging from individual consumer disputes to a multiple-party construction dispute on a large institutional construction project that took over 40 hearing days seeking over $19 million in damages.
In addition to his service with the AAA, Brian has been selected by the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio since 1990 to serve on its “Blue Ribbon” panel of mediators to mediate cases pending in that Court during the Court’s “Settlement Week.” Since 1990, Brian has been assigned as mediator by the Court in over 90 different cases to mediate the dispute and attempt to negotiate a settlement in lieu of advancing the matter to a full trial.
He is recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers®, is AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5.0 rating by Martindale Hubbell®, and was named one of Central Ohio’s “Top Lawyers” by Columbus CEO magazine (April 2009-2016). He is also listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Construction Law.
- The Ohio State University College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1974)
- The Ohio State University (B.A., 1971)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- American Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Section
- Ohio State Bar Association, Fellow, Class of 2006
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Construction Law
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2007
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent Rating
- Nationwide Children's Hospital Invitation Golf Tournament, Volunteer, 2011-2014
- First Community Church, Member
- Grove City Council, Councilman, 1988-1993; President, 1992-1993
- Central Ohio Builders' Exchange; Construction Law Group; Chairperson, 1997-1998