With 18 years of practice in all facets of employment-based immigration, Ellen works with growing organizations to advise on U.S. immigration law, strategy, compliance and training. Her depth of experience fully supports clients moving through the complex steps of business growth and shifting employment strategy, including formation of corporate entities, establishment of U.S. operations and applications for temporary visas through permanent residence.
As partner-in-charge of the Pittsburgh office, Ellen extends her leadership and counsel as a business partner and problem solver for her clients in the areas of biotech, IT, health care and education. Her immigration experience includes global mobility, outbound immigration, IRCA, I-9, LCAs, employment-based petitions, PERM labor certification applications, immigrant visa petitions, consular processing and adjustment of status filings. Ellen excels at J-1 waivers for foreign medical graduates and priority worker preference petitions.
Highly active in immigration education and development at both the local and national levels, Ellen serves in various leadership roles with the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and served as a member of the Welcoming Pittsburgh Advisory Council to the Mayor of Pittsburgh, an initiative aimed at attracting immigrants to the region. She is the Pennsylvania Ambassador as part of the American Immigration Council's AILA Ambassador Program.
As an avid supporter of the arts, Ellen regularly secures O-1 and P-1 visa status on behalf of musicians, conductors, actors and singers, as well as large entertainment groups for their tours in the U.S. On an international level, Ellen is a frequent writer and lecturer on all topics surrounding employment-based immigration.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law (J.D., 1999)
- University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public and International Affairs (M.P.I.A., 1999)
- Odessa National University (M.A.)
- New York
- Law 360, Immigration Editorial Advisory Board, 2016-present
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Business Taskforce, 2017-2018; National 2018 Fall Conference Planning Committee; Rome-EMEA District Chapter 2018 Spring Conference Committee, Chair; 2018 Annual Conference Fundamentals Track, Chair, 2017-2018; Global Migration Section Consular Liaison Committee, Chair, 2017-2018; 2016 Annual Conference Committee, 2015-2016; Business Immigration Committee, 2014-2015; Board of Governors, Pittsburgh Chapter, Chair, 2009-2011, 2014-2015; Fundamentals Conference Committee, Chair, 2014; Rome District Chapter, Spring Conference Committee, 2013-2014; Global Section Steering Committee, 2013-2015; Students & Scholars Committee, 2012-2013; Distance Learning (CLE) Committee, Chair, 2011-2012; Member, 2016-2017
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Arts and Law Committee, 2009-present; Immigration Law Committee, Chair, 2009-2011, 2014-2015
- Pittsburgh Human Resources Association, Learning & Professional Development Committee, 2008-2011
Honors & Awards
- Pittsburgh Business Times, Women of Influence, 2018
- GlobalPittsburgh, Immigrant Entrepreneur Award for Immigrant Professional Excellence, 2017
- Who’s Who, Corporate Immigration, 2015-Present
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent®
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Certificate of Achievement, 2008, 2011
- United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania, Women’s Leadership Council, Executive Committee (Spotlight article)
- Pennsylvania Women Work, Board of Directors
- Executive Women’s Council of Greater Pittsburgh, Secretary
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Center for International Legal Education, Advisory Board
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Foreign Medical Graduates Task Force, 2009-Present
- Welcoming Pittsburgh Advisory Council, 2014-2015
- World Affairs Council of Pittsburgh, Education Committee Member, 2010-2012
- Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh, Cardozo Society, Chair, 2010-2011 and Co-Chair 2009-2010; Blue Knott, Pittsburgh, Vice President, 2008-2010; Wechsler Leadership Development Institute, 2008-2009; Jack Buncher Leadership Program, Jerusalem, Israel, 1992