Bryan is a partner in the Litigation Department and represents clients in business disputes involving intellectual property, restrictive covenants, and contract rights. He routinely litigates disputes involving trade secrets, patent infringement, the Uniform Commercial Code, and unfair competition. In addition to litigating, Bryan routinely provides counsel to clients regarding restrictive covenants and trade secrets. He also has conducted internal corporate investigations and represented clients through governmental investigations. Bryan has tried bench and jury trials, as well as domestic and international arbitrations.
In addition to his civil practice, Bryan also represents clients in criminal matters. He has defended clients in a variety of white-collar criminal matters and is a member of the Criminal Justice Act Panel of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
Before joining the firm, Bryan clerked for United States District Judge James L. Graham of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio. Bryan taught legal writing at The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College Of Law. Bryan served as the president of the Columbus Chapter of the Federal Bar Association.
Trade Secrets & Restrictive Covenants
- Successfully represented national insurance company in restrictive covenant and trade secret case against former employees who formed competing companies
- Obtained numerous temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions and favorable settlements for clients against former employees and their new employers in restrictive covenant and trade secret cases
- Defended cryogenics company in trade secret action in federal court and tried two-week jury trial
- Represented medical parts supplier in restrictive covenant case against former employee and obtained emergency injunctive relief
Intellectual Property & Business Disputes
- Tried and won international arbitration before the International Court of Arbitration in license dispute related to synthetic proteins
- Successfully defended patent-infringement action against sporting goods manufacturer involving design and construction of sporting goods
- Obtained favorable settlement in favor of client in patent-infringement case after successful appeal to Federal Circuit
- Successfully defended law firm in legal-malpractice action arising from prosecution of domestic and foreign patent applications
- Tried and won AAA arbitration on behalf of automotive component supplier in contract dispute with sub-supplier
Governmental Litigation & Internal Investigations
- Tried and won criminal jury trial arising from accident involving client's driver
- Represented school district in government investigation into alleged data manipulation
- Conducted internal investigation arising from shareholder's claims against officers and directors of public utility