Mark has an extensive business and tax practice spanning across multiple subject matters and industries. Mark serves as legal counsel to clients in transactional, real estate, business, manufacturing, succession planning and tax matters.
Mark routinely serves as federal income tax counsel on mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganization and business investment transactions. Mark engages in business and federal income tax planning for organizations in the manufacturing, banking, real estate, health care, energy, hospitality, transportation, education and non-profit sectors.
He also has a robust state and local tax practice, including being one of the most prominent property tax attorneys in Ohio, having appeared before and won multiple cases before the Ohio Supreme Court, Ohio Courts of Appeals and Ohio Board of Tax Appeals. Mark’s state and local tax practice also includes Ohio sales and use, personal income tax and commercial activity tax litigation before the Ohio Department of Taxation, Ohio Board of Tax Appeals and appellate tribunals.
Mark is nationally known for his tax credit practice, which includes both developer and investor representations with respect to federal and state historic tax credits, federal low-income housing tax credits, federal and state new markets tax credits, various energy tax credits and various other types of state tax credits across the nation.
Mark serves in multiple leadership roles within the firm and serves on various committees. He leads the Corporate Department’s summer associate program and interviews lateral candidates as well as law students. In addition to his legal practice, Mark is active on several governing boards of charitable and religious groups.
- Washington and Lee University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2004)
- Denison University (B.S., summa cum laude, 2001)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- American Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars Edition, 2009, 2011, 2014-2017
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Denison University, Class of 2001, Reunion committee
- Ohio Crafts Museum and Ohio Designer-Craftsmen, Board Member and immediate-past Treasurer
- Village Community Church, Co-Treasurer and Member