Steven is a partner in the firm's Litigation Department. He has extensive experience and success representing clients in disputes related to contract, tort, product liability and property rights claims, as well as in defending and resolving class action suits. Steven has worked with clients across a wide variety of industry sectors, including transportation, energy, financial, insurance, pharmaceutical, manufacturing and telecommunication.
Steven’s litigation and counseling experience includes:
- Prevailed in complex contractual arbitration for Class 1 railroad against major telecommunications company.
- Advised leading standards setting organization in financial sector on contractual matters.
- Represented designer of dispatch system in tort claims arising from Washington Metro crash.
- Prevailed on summary judgment motion and resolved complex commercial and tort litigation involving mining equipment.
- Defended and counseled major companies in product liability cases, including a leading manufacturer of heavy equipment, a tire manufacturer and a chemical company.
- Represented surviving energy entity in claims against banks; engaged in investigation and analysis of complex financial transactions.
- Represented insurance company in class actions involving consumer protection and fraud claims resulting from the sale of allegedly tax benefited insurance products.
- Represented insurance companies in complex coverage cases.
- Negotiated favorable class settlement in RICO case involving the sale of FCC lottery applications.
- Prevailed in the Fourth Circuit in case regarding the sale of FCC lottery applications.
- Prevailed in important federal appeals court decision addressing the role of party appointed arbitrators.
Since 1998 Steven has served as counsel and national counsel to a Class I railroad in multiple class actions concerning property rights claims. In this role, Steven's experience includes:
- Procured summary judgment and dismissal in federal and state cases claiming damages for the placement of fiber optic cable on railroad right of way.
- Negotiated agreements resulting in the railroad’s dismissal from dozens of class actions without liability.
- Negotiated favorable class settlement in action involving the disposition of abandoned railroad property.
- Successfully resolved disputes with federal government regarding property issues.
- Provided advice and counsel concerning railroad property rights throughout the eastern half of the United States.
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., cum laude, 1987)
- University of Pennsylvania, The Wharton School (B.S.E., 1984)
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland