Mike’s current practice focuses on representing telecommunications companies in negotiations and litigation with respect to pole attachment, conduit, right-of-way and easement agreements, in the capacity both as pole owners and attachers, with an emphasis on deployment of next generation small cell wireless technologies. He provides legal guidance to telecommunications companies on a nationwide basis regarding their rights and obligations as respects access to poles, ducts and other structures with respect to investor-owned utilities, municipalities and municipally owned utilities, cooperatives and electric membership corporations, and private parties.
Since 1996, Mike has litigated contested hearings before regulatory agencies as well as in state and federal courts across the country. He has represented telecommunications companies in arbitrations, cost dockets, intercarrier compensation and access disputes, and consumer complaint cases brought before state utility commissions and in state and federal court. In addition, Mike has represented telecommunications entities in Sections 251 and 252 and Section 271 proceedings before the Federal Communications Commission and in related state and federal court litigation.
- Negotiated pole attachment, right-of-way and easement agreements for national telecommunications company in its capacity as pole owner and wireline and wireless attacher, with investor-owned utilities, municipalities, cooperatives and private parties
- Analyzed draft ordinances regarding regulation of small cell wireless attachments
- Served as lead counsel for telecommunications company in litigation against municipally owned utility regarding nondiscriminatory rates and terms for pole access, from evidentiary hearings before state utilities commission through appeal to Texas Supreme Court
- Represented wireless telecommunications company in pre-litigation dispute with major tower company regarding deployment of nationwide first responder broadband network
- Represented telecommunications companies in various easements and rights of way disputes
- Represented incumbent local exchange carrier in disputes regarding access to its ducts and conduits as well as access to its network maps and records
- Served as lead counsel to incumbent local exchange carriers in two lawsuits against prepaid calling providers for evasions of originating switched access charges