- Obtained summary judgment in favor of defendant reinsurer asserting late notice affirmative defense to more than $22 million in facultative billings and successfully defended that judgment on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of another defendant reinsurer asserting late notice defense and successfully defended that judgment on appeal.
- Represented cedents in multi-stage mediation with reinsurers.
- Represented plaintiff reinsurer in action against cedent title insurer for breach of conflict, rescission, negligence, unjust enrichment and declaratory judgment.
- Represented plaintiff insurer seeking pre-pleading security from reinsurer.
- On behalf of cedent, negotiated publicly-filed stipulation with Equitas and Underwriters of Lloyd’s, London regarding successor issues in litigation.
- Represented cedents and assuming reinsurers in numerous confidential arbitrations involving allocation of products and non- products asbestos and hazardous waste claims.
- Represented cedents in multiple confidential arbitrations involving allegations of bad faith by reinsurers.
- Represented assuming reinsurers in confidential arbitrations involving quota share treaty claims.
- Represented pool members in multiple confidential arbitrations regarding rights and obligations under pooling agreements.
- Represented cedent in confidential reinsurance arbitration arising from workers compensation claim.
- Represented assuming reinsurer in confidential arbitration involving Public Officials and Employees Liability coverage.
- Represented cedent in confidential arbitration over retrospectively-rated CGL policies.
- Counseled clients regarding claims-handling and allocation issues, bad faith allegations, broker disputes and access to records, notice and consent obligations, pool membership rights and obligations, contract interpretation and settlement and commutation considerations.
- Represented insurer in MGA disputes, including actions for injunctive relief.
- Represented mortgage and credit insurers in defending coverage actions brought by financial institution insureds.
- Defended mortgage insurer in confidential arbitrations with national lender and its predecessor, including at multi-week evidentiary hearings.
- Represented plaintiff credit insurer in action brought against financial institution insured for fraud and breach of contract.
- Represented employer-insured in arbitration over retrospectively-rated workers compensation policies.
Additional Litigation Matters
- Represented manufacturer and premises defendants in numerous asbestos bodily injury suits in Cook County, IL; Madison County, IL; and St. Louis, MO.
- Defended venture capital firms against breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Represented commercial clients in real estate contract disputes, lease disputes and easement claim.
- Represented employers facing employment discrimination suits.