Phil is a partner in the firm’s litigation department, where he focuses his practice on complex litigation, including product liability litigation, toxic tort litigation, class action defense, defense of securities fraud and antitrust cases, contract disputes and trade secret disputes. His practice includes serving as trial counsel in complex multidistrict or multi-jurisdiction litigation. He has also arbitrated disputes under the rules of the American Arbitration Association, the CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution and the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris, France.
Prior to his private sector work, Phil was a law clerk to The Honorable Alice M. Batchelder, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. He also worked for three years in the Wisconsin legislature, serving ultimately as the Chief of Staff to Senator Lynn Adelman, who now serves on the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin in Milwaukee.
Phil serves as a public member of the Sixth Circuit Advisory Committee on Rules, a role to which he was appointed by then-Chief Judge Danny Boggs of the Sixth Circuit. In 2012 Phil was named chair of the Committee. He is also a life member of the judicial Conference of the Sixth Circuit.
- Defending a pharmaceutical company at trial and on appeal in multidistrict product liability litigation alleging serious personal injuries from use of a product used in MRIs.
- Obtaining a complete defense verdict in arbitration on behalf of the US research and development subsidiary of a Spain-based company in arbitration accused of trade secret misappropriation by a Canada-based company in the emerging cellulosic ethanol field.
- Representing the US affiliate of a Belgium-based meatpacking company in a Commerce Clause challenge to a state statute including obtaining injunctive relief to allow the company to operate during the litigation.
- Obtaining reversal by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals of a district court’s order certifying a 29-jurisdiction class action alleging consumer fraud by a Fortune 50 retailer.
- Winning dismissal of a federal antitrust lawsuit brought by the competitor of a Fortune 500 manufacturing company in the coated adhesives market.
- Representing the US subsidiary of an international flavor company against claims that its products were responsible for workplace injuries.
- Obtaining summary affirmance from the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals of a district court order finding federal jurisdiction following de-certification of a class and dismissal after rejection of an offer of judgment.
- Defending a major international tire manufacturer against securities fraud class action and related product liability claims.
- Defending a federally chartered financial institution in consumer class action.
- Achieving a favorable settlement for a global performance chemicals company in an international arbitration arising out of the acquisition of certain assets from a Germany-based company.
- Representing an international oil company in arbitration of a pipeline dispute involving in excess of US $6 million.
- Representing a Fortune 1000 manufacturing company in antitrust class action alleging price fixing in certain chemical markets in the United States, Europe and East Asia.
- Defending a steering gear manufacturer in products liability litigation alleging design defects.
- Achieving a favorable result for an individual and corporations targeted in a federal grand jury investigation of certain pricing practices in the steel industry (no charges were brought).
- Successfully defending contract actions arising out of raw material cost increases in the steel industry.
- Defending at trial in federal court a Fortune 500 manufacturing company against breach of contract claims relating to a technology development agreement in the consumer electronics industry.